Can you help Tony at Starless River??

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
wl

A message from Tony Seddon ....

?If you know an outdoorsy bloke in Peterborough, or notice the following kit for sale on eBay; it looks like it was bought from us, with a dodgy card. Ordered online and sent out as usual, but two weeks later the money was removed from our account.
So if you see an AV Arphidia; Warmbac Oversuit; Petzl knife; Bestard Canyon boots in 9 1/2; and Panga helmets going for ?too good to be true? prices - that?s why!?

If you can help recover this equipment, please contact Tony, thank you

PeteHall

I didn't know this sort of thing was possible. I thought the usual thing was for people to pinch a credit card and spend a load of money on it, so the shop got paid, but the person who's card was stolen lost the money.

I'm sure Tony has explored this avenue, but he must have a name and address for the person who he posted the kit to; name might be false, but the address must be correct or they wouldn't have got it. The police are quiet as lockdown has reduced crime, so surely they could just knock the door???

mikem

Probably sent to an empty house. Presumably the police have name & address, so no point spreading it further.

andrewmcleod

Credit card chargeback, I presume. The person whose credit card it is flags the fraudulent transaction with their card issuer who initiates the chargeback of money from the merchant to the credit card holder.

mikem

Alternatively, it may never have arrived, or was stolen off the doorstep - was it sent recorded delivery?

Presumably this is what was claimed by purchaser to get their refund, but Tony has reason to suspect otherwise...

Andy Sparrow

When we operated our online gear shop we had a ?2.5k order from Singapore, paid up front by credit card.  We knew at once it was dodgy (stolen or cloned card) and there was no way we going to ship the goods.  We called the bank and were advised that when the legitimate card holder became aware of the payment we would be liable for the refund.  So we chose to refund the payment immediately - which cost us over ?100 in currency charges.

andrewmcleod

When there is a crime, someone is always going to lose out. It is wrong, because crime is wrong.
Our system is set up so that the consumer doesn't generally lose out in such cases, but that always means someone else will whether it is the merchant, the interchange service or the card issuer.