Digital OS maps

tim.rose2

Yes, have subscribed for 3 years now.  Very worthwhile.  You can print A4 & A3 (if you have an A3 printer) maps to scale in both 1:50K and 1:25K.  Have printed hundreds of A3 maps over the last few years for days out walking.

ChrisJC

I suspect you need to know where you are going if you go 'off grid' as I am sure it doesn't allow you to download the entire country in one go and store that locally.

I bought MemoryMap for ?360 which is the entire country at 1:25000 on a memory stick. Unlimited prints there too, but a lot more expensive!

Chris.

PaulW

ChrisJC said:
I suspect you need to know where you are going if you go 'off grid' as I am sure it doesn't allow you to download the entire country in one go and store that locally.

I bought MemoryMap for ?360 which is the entire country at 1:25000 on a memory stick. Unlimited prints there too, but a lot more expensive!

Chris.

downloads a 5 x 8 km section to my phone each time for use offline, however live data transfer has never been an issue.....so far

ILT

I've been using the OS subscription for several years and find it great most of the time. Sometimes a problem if you need an area which you didn't expect and there is no cell data connection. With 1K25 paper maps at around ?6.50 each the subscription makes excellent value for money. Print the area you want as many times as you want.
Should also add that if you buy the paper maps you get a free download of the same area that you can use via the app giving you offline access to the whole of that map permanently whilst still allowing the smaller offline allowance of the app to be used.
I also use OMN and MM as their apps are more richly featured - neither have the 'Augmented Reality' that OS introduced a few weeks ago but both have far better route recording/planning/profiling.

Anquet have moved to a similar subscription based model for their Outdoor Map Navigator
Memory Map seem to be sticking to the outright purchase of map areas and I keep a high resolution copy of the whole country on my cell phone and tablet, renewing it every couple of years.

Chocolate fireguard

I have been using this for several years.
It must have saved me many times the subscription each year.
The 3D feature behaves oddly - the top left half of the screen just shows vertical coloured lines but that may be more my fault than theirs, as I am not good with these computer things - but I rarely use the feature anyway.

RobinGriffiths

With a bit of Javascript and the Bing tile server (+ api key) you can knock up a full screen browser based, whole country OS 1:25,000 map for free. There are tile download limits, but I've never hit it.

pwhole

Personally I find that 1: 25,000 is nowhere near detailed enough for my needs, which is why I rarely even look at OS maps these days - unless they were published in the 1890s, in which case, great! Does anyone know if subscriptions to higher resolutions are actually available? I would much rather be able to print out views from the 'old' 25" to 1 mile scale. The data must exist.

Bob Mehew

RobinGriffiths said:
With a bit of Javascript and the Bing tile server (+ api key) you can knock up a full screen browser based, whole country OS 1:25,000 map for free. There are tile download limits, but I've never hit it.
Is that available soemwhere?
pwhole said:
Personally I find that 1: 25,000 is nowhere near detailed enough for my needs, which is why I rarely even look at OS maps these days - unless they were published in the 1890s, in which case, great! Does anyone know if subscriptions to higher resolutions are actually available? I would much rather be able to print out views from the 'old' 25" to 1 mile scale. The data must exist.
I can only think of DEFRA's Magic at https://magic.defra.gov.uk/MagicMap.aspx as an easy access to current maps down to 1:10,000 though that only covers Great Britian and not Northern Ireland.  (And its info on SSSIs and such like is only for England.)

Many thanks for all of the responses; I will take out a subscription and see if I can get my A3 printer working.