Flooding

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
I've never seen rain like it in The Dales.  Road outside our house is a small river!

We're going to film Thornton force later and I'll post it on here - see if it's anymore 'outrageous'  than last time I filmed it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ6XqPkDDhY

If anyone else captures The Dales (or anywhere in The UK recently) in flood on film or photo, how about posting on here?

Goes without saying - don't get swept away  :eek:

Pegasus (who btw wishes it would STOP raining  :()

JRL

Santa's Grotto at Ingleborogh Cave is closed today due to the weather. Update for tomorrow to follow later.

Goydenman

Photo of Goyden main chamber
23514126896_6d2dc6eda9_k.jpg width="300" height="400" Goyden main chamber flood

Sorry can someone adjust the size for me struggling [gmod]Done.[/gmod]

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
There's a blummin fire engine outside our house pumping water out of a neighbour's house  :(

wl

Simon Wilson

This is the river Kent at Sedgwick, Cumbria. The EA website is now saying that the last readings from this gauge are invalid so I guess it's gone off the scale. The last reading shows it about a metre above the previous highest reading and that gauge was installed in 1975. WOW.

Kent%203_zpsk7jps8gj.jpg

martinr

via EA:
Provisional figures from a rain gauge in Honister, ?Cumbria? shows 352mm (13.86 inches) of rain fell in 24hrs, if verified this would be a UK record

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
..and from another angle.  A tremendous volume of water, never seen the like.

https://youtu.be/rijhwucIUsI

Fulk

Wow, that's incredible. Thanks for posting those videos.
We should have been out in the Dales yesterday 'flood watching' . . . but all the roads were flooded and we had to skulk at home!!

Madness

In situations like this obviously the Fire Brigade are stretched to the limit. Do they ever call upon local Mountain and Cave Rescue teams for assistance?

JJ

I think in the region of 25 Mountain Rescue teams have been involved in these terrible Cumbrian floods. Many teams have boats and rescue rafts as well as trained up Swift Water Technician members. Teams have travelled from as far afield as North Wales and the Peak District.