Scraper boxes

tomferry

Hello everyone

Have been reading metalliferous mining by s higham it is a very good read to say the least if your into learning about how stuff works and was designed in great detail.

I have asked a few people and these appear to be quite rare and not a a great deal known about them  I am going to kindly ask Chris to attach a couple of photos for how it explains they are used etc

My question is if anyone has seen these on the journeys out could you please say where or if their sensitive sites feel free to private message .

Or any useful information would be great to have added into the thread .

Regards Tom .

ChrisJC

Presto!

Attachments

• scraper.jpg
    scraper.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 156
  • scraper2.jpg
    scraper2.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 131

Cantclimbtom

Never noticed, but if the scrap man removed the hoist, cable etc I bet that snatch block would more trouble than worth if far out of reach so I'll keep my eyes peeled for that in future thanks

tomferry

Is interesting their appears to be many different capacities / types I am surprised I have not seen one or remains indicating this was one , it seems to be a well used technique  as it reduces the cost of Labour  the other benefit being you can have this constantly running especially if their is ore chutes near by , in normal stope conditions,  some times they was short on mine carts coming into it ?empty? ones as so much is being removed at once , with this it frees up many mine carts and appears to be a simple design to construct  you still need the winch like always  but appears a very good simple design ?

Tom

LJR

Quite a common mining tool. Not just in metal mining but coal too.
There are still some about in working condition.
We used one when infilling the stopes at Snailbeach shown in photo with the late Dave Williams driving the winch.

Attachments

• Rubbish Stope 3.jpg
    Rubbish Stope 3.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 132

Minegeo

Scrapers (or more commonly "slushers") used until early 1980's at Silvermines, Ireland.  Photos from late 1960's (B&W) from Upper G-Zone and late 1970's (colour) B-Zone.

Attachments

• 2017-06-10_105346.jpg
    2017-06-10_105346.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 132
  • 2017-06-10_105351.jpg
    2017-06-10_105351.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 121
  • Photos019.jpg
    Photos019.jpg
    406.5 KB · Views: 119

Cantclimbtom

Those pics seem to show 2 steel ropes (head and tail presumably), which makes sense, and operation by a pair of levers.

How does that work? Does pulling a lever winch in that cable while releasing the other lever lets it freely pay out?  How does it operate?

Cantclimbtom

Thanks Mark -- that clears it up, looks as simple as it gets to operate

Maybe a kind of digression, but you want to see a big drag bucket?? look at this beast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgHs3MmOdvg

Minegeo

Actually the slushers (scrapers) have three ropes:  Pulley blocks are installed at the corners of the stope and the cables from the winch these are attached via these to the back of the slusher bucket.  The third rope is attached to the front of the bucket.  By using the two cables controlled separately the bucket can be dragged to the furthest corners of the stope and then retrieved by the single cable to the ore pass in front of the winch location.

Kevin_Williams

Having mined in several coal and metalliferrous mines in England, Zambia and USA I have experiences with both compressed air and electric 2 and 3 drum scrapers over the years. I have no preference to either, both are good to use with the three drum easier to work in wider ore bodies.

tomferry

Kevin what types of metalliferous mines did you use them in during what time period in the uk ? just am curious as I have not heard much about these before I am assuming iron ?  .

Mark

We used them in the 1970s in Sallet Hole Mine (fluorspar) about 60ft above the 130ft Level (which was above the adit level).
We would put a raise hole in the vein (cribbed all the way up) and then drive a small level in the vein, (just big enough to get a long hole rig in) first few rounds would be shovelled by hand, then the slusher would be hauled up the raise hole and used to clear the level for about 100ft to meet the next raise hole.
Long holes were drilled in the vein above the level and the whole lot fired (after the slusher had been moved along beyond the next rise hole)

tomferry

Thanks Chris .

I am reading some pamphlets that I have purchased and was wondering was these common practice during the period after the 2nd world war ? As health and safety started to evolve  and the war time rush finished many new rules / standards / guide lines got brought into place ? Did they give similar out at sallet hole since we already have that in conversation above ?

Mark

Tomferry said:
Thanks Chris .

I am reading some pamphlets that I have purchased and was wondering was these common practice during the period after the 2nd world war ? As health and safety started to evolve  and the war time rush finished many new rules / standards / guide lines got brought into place ? Did they give similar out at sallet hole since we already have that in conversation above ?

There were rules and regulations to be followed but a lot of stuff went on, that would definitely not be allowed now.
It was a hard rock mine nothing like the coal mines with all the hazards.

One health and safety snippet that still makes me chuckle, was the introduction of an accident book next to the clocking off machine

One report went as follows

Nature of injury - "Badly bruised knee"

How did the accident occur - " I was knocking a nail into leg, and hammer slipped"