Lockdown 2 Access Updates

DCA

Update 4/12/20
Please look on the DCA Cave Registry (has mines too!) when you make plans and check the access situation for your intended trip. There are a few Covid-19 related access changes from the 'normal' state of affairs. https://peakdistrictcaving.info/home/the-caves

At the time of writing this post, the current list of closed sites are as follows:
Ashford Black Marble Mine
Holme Bank Chert Mine

(Note that there are specific Covid-19 requirements/restrictions for trip in P8, Bagshawe Cavern, Watericicle Close Cavern and Peak Cavern)

Please bear in mind this list may go out of date quickly, so check the DCA website before your trip - www.thedca.org.uk
As ever, only cave if it is legal to do so and you can follow all the guidance set out by the Government. In all cases be discrete and cave within your ability, as rescue teams will possibly be short handed and delayed in their response times and abilities due to having to work to Covid-19 guidelines.
Stay safe - The DCA Team

DCA

I know we are in Lockdown 3 right now, well... technically coming out of Lockdown 3, but here is a quick update on access.
At this time, the only sites that DCA are aware of that are closed are the following:
Holmebank Chert Mine
Peak / Speedwell system
Both are likely to remain closed to general visits until May. As always, you're best checking the Peak District Caving Info site for current access info:
https://peakdistrictcaving.info/home/the-caves

tomferry

Hello is peak cavern / speedwell shut for caving & tourists  was unsure on the ?general visits ?

Thanks Tom

pwhole

Yep, there's no access for regular caving trips until then as the showcave entrance has to be used. The only way into the Peak/Speedwell system at present is via JH (James Hall Mine), which is 200m of pretty intense SRT to get down to the streamway, and you have to exit the same way, so it's a big trip if you just want to see Peak Cavern. There's generally no access for cavers via Speedwell anyway unless it's for work, or some other 'unusual' reason. Once the showcave entrance is back in action we'll be organising trips as soon as is practicable, subject to whatever regs are in place then.

https://www.peakspeedwell.info/

https://peakdistrictcaving.info/home/the-caves/castleton/james-halls-over-engine-mine

tomferry

pwhole said:
Yep, there's no access for regular caving trips until then as the showcave entrance has to be used. The only way into the Peak/Speedwell system at present is via JH (James Hall Mine), which is 200m of pretty intense SRT to get down to the streamway, and you have to exit the same way, so it's a big trip if you just want to see Peak Cavern. There's generally no access for cavers via Speedwell anyway unless it's for work, or some other 'unusual' reason. Once the showcave entrance is back in action we'll be organising trips as soon as is practicable, subject to whatever regs are in place then.

Thanks for taking the time to reply  (y)

https://www.peakspeedwell.info/

https://peakdistrictcaving.info/home/the-caves/castleton/james-halls-over-engine-mine

Pete K

Clicking the PeakSpeedwellInfo link above takes you to the homepage where it states Titan is also closed.

DCA

Just a reminder that currently DCA are aware of the following sites that are closed due to Covid:
Holmebank Chert Mine
Peak / Speedwell system
Both are likely to remain closed to general visits until at least May 17th. As always, you're best checking the Peak District Caving Info site for current access info: https://peakdistrictcaving.info/home/the-caves

DCA

Currently DCA are aware of the following sites that are closed due to Covid:
Holmebank Chert Mine

Update on Trespass Fees for P8, P7, Gautries etc.

Mr and Mrs Ritter of Perryfoot Farm would like to resume trespass fees of ?1.00

As always, you're best checking the Peak District Caving Info site for current access info: https://peakdistrictcaving.info/home/the-caves

cooleycr

Peak Cavern update:

At this time there is no update and the access arrangements remain as per www.peakspeedwell.info - meet the keyholder at the main gates for 09:45 and ensure everyone in the party has exited the cave by 4:30PM (4:00PM when there is a cinema night/gig). No midweek trips and none outside the stated times.

The only thing to note is that although face coverings are no longer mandatory, the management have asked us to request that all cavers continue to wear them whilst traversing the show cave.

2xw

Paul Marvin said:
With current lifting right or wrong why is any closed now ?  :-\

Holme Bank isn't really a covid thing and Peak Cavern is presumably managing the risk to their (paying) visitors - but I'm not sure these restrictions are different to any normal times other than asking you to wear masks in the showcave

pwhole

No weekday trips is quite a restriction over before. I tended to do more of my caving in there during the week as it was quieter.

2xw

Ah that's me wrong then. Maybe me not going in the week is not having a key holder available

cooleycr

2xw said:
Ah that's me wrong then. Maybe me not going in the week is not having a key holder available

Nope, you are not wrong, there generally isn't any access during the week unless it is project work, for example I went in today to fit a radon detector, but it does indeed rely on a keyholder being available.

And now some good news: -

I met up with the show cave management this afternoon and can announce that, as of this coming weekend, we have lifted the restriction on numbers within the party.  :beer:

However -

It is still one party per day, meeting the keyholder at the main gate at 09:45 (with completed indemnity forms and pound coins aplenty!) and be out by 16:30 (16:00 when there is a cinema night or concert).

No through trips from Titan or JH and no late egress UFN (as in until the TSG hut is fully reopen to all once more).

**Face masks/covers MUST be worn whilst traversing the show cave, entry will not be permitted without**

Many thanks,
for and on behalf of the Peak Cavern keyholders,

Charley.

Paul Marvin

cooleycr said:
2xw said:

Nope, you are not wrong, there generally isn't any access during the week unless it is project work, for example I went in today to fit a radon detector, but it does indeed rely on a keyholder being available.

And now some good news: -

I met up with the show cave management this afternoon and can announce that, as of this coming weekend, we have lifted the restriction on numbers within the party.  :beer:

However -

It is still one party per day, meeting the keyholder at the main gate at 09:45 (with completed indemnity forms and pound coins aplenty!) and be out by 16:30 (16:00 when there is a cinema night or concert).

No through trips from Titan or JH and no late egress UFN (as in until the TSG hut is fully reopen to all once more).

**Face masks/covers MUST be worn whilst traversing the show cave, entry will not be permitted without**

Many thanks,
for and on behalf of the Peak Cavern keyholders,

Charley.

We are booked in on Sunday    :D

cooleycr

As many of you will now know, the TSG caving hut (AKA the Chapel) is, as of today, open once more to non-members staying over as guests and as day visitors, booking in via the usual channels.

However, this restriction with regards to Peak Cavern will for the time being remain in place - "No through trips from Titan or JH and no late egress."
This will be addressed in due course and I will report back.

cooleycr

Great news everybody - the Covid_19 restrictions on Peak Cavern have now been lifted so everything is as per pre-pandemic times.

The following rules remain in place -

? Entry must be made before 10:00 ? meet key holder at allotted time, usually 09:45 ** this is to get larger groups into the main cave before the paying public arrive, smaller groups can request later access **
? Face masks MUST be worn while passing through the show cave
? Social distancing (2m) should be maintained throughout the cave, especially in the show cave.
? Exit at any time, but must be by 4PM if there is an event taking place.

Please note that the keyholder team are all unpaid volunteers (no mileage claims) with families and other commitments so it may not always be possible to issue a permit.