Matlock Parking

tdobson

I'm headed to wapping on Sunday for a wander, and I wondered if anyone could advise me on the best parking options for midday matlock at the moment?

I used to park in the p&d carpark just below guillvers world, but I believe "for some reason" they now have height restrictions, and I drive a high roof van. I've heard a church mentioned - is that a good option?

What's best at present? Eagerly aware that getting parking right is one of the things I can do keep good access relations going :)

Mr Mike

I've always parked at new bath hotel, turn off A6 for it, then 1st right onto a gravel carpark. Always park towards the end of that. Others may be more up to date on this. Last time I was there was 2017.

ttxela2

Mr Mike said:
I've always parked at new bath hotel, turn off A6 for it, then 1st right onto a gravel carpark. Always park towards the end of that. Others may be more up to date on this. Last time I was there was 2017.

I believe the hotel no longer like folk parking there, although that may have changed again perhaps  :confused:

paul

From the Peak District Caving Info site https://peakdistrictcaving.info/home/the-caves/derwent-south/wapping-mine?accept=yes

In the past, parking has been available in the overflow parking area at the New Bath Hotel, however the new owners of the hotel are installing "No Parking" notices on the overflow parking spot. This is not aimed at cavers but the general public who are using this space for BBQ's, leaving rubbish, etc. Cavers are advised to avoid this parking area for a few weeks until it calms down and then the hotel will issue a temporary permit for cavers to collect from reception.

Please take note of this and if you really must use this parking area in the next few weeks, please go and ask at the hotel reception.

Alternatively Holy Trinity Church doesn't mind small numbers using their car park provided that they do not have an event taking place.

And it's Matlock Bath, not Matlock.  ;)

pwhole

Thanks for the reminder here, as I recently updated the parking info re: the church, for Devonshire, and forgot that Wapping/Cumberland would also need updating, which I've just done - so this is the official line from the church for parking:

Holy Trinity Church don't mind small numbers using their car park, but have requested that cavers do not use the car park before midday on Sundays - please respect this request to maintain good relations.

tdobson

As I want to visit, before midday on a Sunday - I'll give Holy Trinity a miss.

Any suggestions of other good places in Matlock *Bath*?

pwhole

Why not just park there, do the service at the church, have communion and then go caving? You'll have the power of the Lord at your disposal. Although as it's Church of England, I don't know if their communion really works, and they just get given 'placeholder' hosts.

Oh brother  :halo:

AR

pwhole said:
Why not just park there, do the service at the church, have communion and then go caving? You'll have the power of the Lord at your disposal. Although as it's Church of England, I don't know if their communion really works, and they just get given 'placeholder' hosts.

Oh brother  :halo:

"Get in line for that processional, step into that small confessional,
There's a guy who's got religion will tell you if your sin's original,
If it is, try playing it safer, drink the wine and chew the wafer,
Two, four, six, eight, time to transubstantiate!"

Back on the actual topic,  I don't know whether the Matlock Bath station car park has a height barrier or not. There's a few spaces outside the Mining Museum that you can get to without going under a barrier, can't remember how long you can park on the street either though the bikers seldom bother with parking tickets! Otherwise, there's not really many other places round Matlock Bath for a high vehicle - worst case would be park at Bonsall car park and walk over the hill!

pwhole

The railway station looks good for vans on StreetView, and it's not that far to walk. And it would be funny trudging past all the bikers in full caving kit, as they'd finally be confronted by folks looking even more ridiculous than they do.

droid

As an ex- member of a motorcycle Club that's helped bring Matlock 'Bath' to a grinding halt on 2 separate occasions I take great offence  at your last statement, Phil  :LOL:

owd git

Church car park is unfortunately beyond the height restriction. I, as a resident of Matlock bath can only think of parking on clifton road south of church towards " millenium meadow" and suggest you are assessing the meadow for further works  no one will be the wiser. and it is 'off highway' so nowt can be done!  (y)
O.G.

Pete K

Is this the Temple Car Park that has a height restriction now? What on earth is the point in that. I have met coaches from schools in there for Devonshire trips. There is nowhere else in the area to safely pull a coach load of kids in. How low are we talking on the barrier? I drive a Transit Custom with roof bars. With Artists Corner parking the same, it looks like Matlock Bath is pretty anti-campers / day vans. What idiocy.

AR

This might have something to do with travellers setting up camp on the car parks in recent years, but agree there's a real problem with lack of coach parking in Matlock Bath these days.

owd git

Pete K said:
Is this the Temple Car Park that has a height restriction now? What on earth is the point in that. I have met coaches from schools in there for Devonshire trips. There is nowhere else in the area to safely pull a coach load of kids in. How low are we talking on the barrier? I drive a Transit Custom with roof bars. With Artists Corner parking the same, it looks like Matlock Bath is pretty anti-campers / day vans. What idiocy.

Yes Pete, even my dispatch won't fit. AR is right. travellers have pissed off, and shat on  locals, hence height restrictions.

Pete K

I hadn't realised it had been that bad with travellers there. Mind you there has been a village of them at the Odin turning circle outside of Castleton for months now so I guess it's not surprising there was an issue there.
Thanks for the info about the height, looks like I need to rethink my planned work in Devonshire over the next few months.

pwhole

I almost suggested a height restriction should be built in front of the Odin turning circle last night, but I'll do it now. Let's say 10cm above a Transit? It's actually been more than a year for the one right outside the gate. Is he paying Council Tax, I wonder?
Maybe someone should go up there with a bunch of spray-cans to redecorate their exteriors, as they're clearly 'abandoned'  :chair: