Vivian Quarry 'Escape Room'

RobinGriffiths

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/abandoned-snowdonia-slate-quarry-turned-20719981

wtf?

Disneyfication or giving punters what they want?

Sounds like fun TBH, but there are more than enough ?real? underwater problems to sort before embarking on such frivolities. Probably move them to the top of their insurer?s Christmas card list too!

Paul Marvin

RobinGriffiths said:
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/abandoned-snowdonia-slate-quarry-turned-20719981

wtf?

Disneyfication or giving punters what they want?

The former me thinks  :cautious:

ChrisJC

Sounds like a fun idea, assuming you are a diver!

Mind you, with a depth of only 18m, I am sure that novices will be able to have a go too.

Chris.

Paul Marvin

ChrisJC said:
Sounds like a fun idea, assuming you are a diver!

Mind you, with a depth of only 18m, I am sure that novices will be able to have a go too.

Chris.

I have more" lifetime memberships " here every time a new owner comes along you need a new one    :-\ :LOL:

RobinGriffiths

Heh!

When I did a BSAC Sports Diver thingy 25 years ago we had our own 'escape' at Vivian. Back in those days, you didn't have the luxury of a set of steps down to a diving platform. It was a barrel roll, landing on your back 5 foot lower down in the water. There were three of us with an instructor; we three dived to the bottom, but one of our compadre's weight belt had become detached, possibly as a result of a glancing hit on the side that he had when he entered the water, and he was like the proverbial cork. We other two managed to reach the belt, whilst restraining our colleague from launching himself upwards like a Polaris missile. No sign of our diving instructor, so we signalled to each other that we would ascend. Which we duly did, but with one of us like a cork, and the other two down one hand each from holding onto the dive belt, control of the stab jacket was less than perfect, and we were accelerating as the air in the jacket expanded as the water pressure reduced. My fellow belt holder had the presence of mind to dump air from his jacket in order to slow our ascent, but I swear we must have cleared 5 foot when we hit the surface, with a volumable 'fucking hell' from the spectators amassed above. Then a paniced 'hold onto the belt' from my colleague who had dumped his air lest he disappear back into the murky depths. Needless to say, we called it a day, and retired to Pete's Eats, inspecting our joints for a rash which might indicate a case of the bends. But the dive had been so short lived, we were fine.

davel

According to the Daily Post https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/abandoned-snowdonia-slate-quarry-turned-20719981

Clare [Dutton] added: "In my opinion, Vivian Quarry is a perfect location for this - being able to close the gates on the divers, they will have the entire quarry to themselves during the game."

I wonder what the climbers (or even the other visitors to the site) would say about this.

Dave

Paul Marvin

RobinGriffiths said:
Heh!

When I did a BSAC Sports Diver thingy 25 years ago we had our own 'escape' at Vivian. Back in those days, you didn't have the luxury of a set of steps down to a diving platform. It was a barrel roll, landing on your back 5 foot lower down in the water. There were three of us with an instructor; we three dived to the bottom, but one of our compadre's weight belt had become detached, possibly as a result of a glancing hit on the side that he had when he entered the water, and he was like the proverbial cork. We other two managed to reach the belt, whilst restraining our colleague from launching himself upwards like a Polaris missile. No sign of our diving instructor, so we signalled to each other that we would ascend. Which we duly did, but with one of us like a cork, and the other two down one hand each from holding onto the dive belt, control of the stab jacket was less than perfect, and we were accelerating as the air in the jacket expanded as the water pressure reduced. My fellow belt holder had the presence of mind to dump air from his jacket in order to slow our ascent, but I swear we must have cleared 5 foot when we hit the surface, with a volumable 'fucking hell' from the spectators amassed above. Then a paniced 'hold onto the belt' from my colleague who had dumped his air lest he disappear back into the murky depths. Needless to say, we called it a day, and retired to Pete's Eats, inspecting our joints for a rash which might indicate a case of the bends. But the dive had been so short lived, we were fine.

Ha Ha we all have a tail like that, thought it was just us    (y)

ttxela2

So the tasks include defusing a nuclear bomb  :unsure:

Surely the first set of customers that don't manage to complete the task will bring the whole operation (+ a good portion of Wales) to a spectacular end...... :-\

Cantclimbtom

AFAIK it's just silly speculation (and I've no knowledge what "his" new home became when "he" was evicted from college) there is the entirely unsubstantiated rumour, it'd be only 500 metres from a nuclear reactor (albeit a disappointingly tiny one) so nuclear defusal seems apt. Will they call the "bomb" they must defuse JASON ;)

RobinGriffiths

Another Daily Post article today...

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/underwater-north-wales-escape-room-21780403

Steve Clark

It's just another futile attempt at generating some interest in the dwindling UK diving scene.

It seems to have gone from something like caving or climbing, where a uni club could get some kit together and train an 'intake' of newbie divers every year, keep enough to sustain a club and make some instructors who would instruct for free, into something like motorsport or sailing where the initial investment in gear is ridiculous.

I learnt through a uni club in 2001. Costs then vs. now :

Regs (DS4+ATX40) - ?125, now ?300
Semi-dry ?100, now ?350
Drysuit (top spec otter/santi) - ?600, now ?2000+
Wing (Halycon eclipse/evolve) - ?150, now ?500
Mask ?20, now ?50+
Fins ?30, now ?50-150

I could sell most of my gear, with 15-20years wear, for more than I originally paid for it.

I don't like it. Lots of middle-aged fat guys trying it as a BS extreme sport before they retire to golf. They set the acceptable retail price of stuff, effectively blocking normal students from having a go.

Paul Marvin

Not a big fan of Vivian although its ok to test some kit or for novices,or just to pop in and get a fill if in the area . but a very boring place to dive  :confused: