Peak Dale Tunnel

CB

Just seen some fab photos of this cave but know nothing about it.  Please enlighten me someone.

SamT

If its the one I think it is, I think folks generally keep it under the radar.  Perhaps someone could PM you about it rather than publishing info on the world wide web.  (personally I've not been,  so not sure exactly where it is otherwise I'd pm you myself  :confused:)

droid

If you are who I think you are, why not just ask the publisher of the photos, who you know....?

Daggers

Well I must own up to being the one who took the photo's and Sam is right this is a very under the radar place, due to the nature of the formations in the place. All I can say people is be content to look at the photo's as the location is being kept secret for fear of damage to the formations, and the scientific observations taking place in the location.

Mark

The formations are very fragile, having formed very quickly, due to being beneath a waste lime tip (almost like icing sugar) but still very beautiful.

As the previous posters have said, best to keep location secret, having said that if it was trashed it would be the same again in a relatively short period of time.

if it was trashed it would be the same again in a relatively short period of time.

But would they be the same  :-\ or different due to air temperature, wind, amount lime still left to trickle through the ground from above  :confused:

CB

droid said:
If you are who I think you are, why not just ask the publisher of the photos, who you know....?

I don't think I am who you think I am (sounds as if we are getting into Descartes territory here).  So I don't know the photographer.  Photos were shared on FB by someone else.

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
CB said:
I don't think I am who you think I am (sounds as if we are getting into Descartes territory here).  So I don't know the photographer.  Photos were shared on FB by someone else.

and beautiful they are too...

CB

I can well understand why it is under the radar.  What a fab place.  It was a priviledge to se the photos.  Thanks.

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Fantastic photos doing the rounds of thousands of people on facebook.  Not exactly "keeping it under the radar". 

It is inevitable that photos have been published on the www and these will arouse the interest of genuine cavers and mine enthusiasts, and who can blame them.  I am sure the good people of Peak District caving can come up with a better solution for conserving these formations, as protecting through secrecy is never a long term solution in my experience.

Peter Burgess

On a philosophical point, how do you know secrecy doesn't work, as by definition, you won't know about the sites as they are secret. (Although clearly it seems to be failing in this specific example).

martinm

and I have have seen them too. They are on flickr. You only have to do a search with the subject of this thread, so if you were trying to keep it 'Under the Radar', you have failed.

I have also seen his FB page. The site is supposed to be locked due to scientific studies being carried out in there. (I have had an email from DCAs former Cons Officer about it.

As soon as I get my car road legal again (not far off now) I will go and have a look and consult with the relevant people.

Mark

mmilner said:
and I have have seen them too. They are on flickr. You only have to do a search with the subject of this thread, so if you were trying to keep it 'Under the Radar', you have failed.

I have also seen his FB page. The site is supposed to be locked due to scientific studies being carried out in there. (I have had an email from DCAs former Cons Officer about it.

As soon as I get my car road legal again (not far off now) I will go and have a look and consult with the relevant people.

Ok the "formations" look nice but what will you get precious about next, cementicles under motorway bridges, culverts, railway tunnels or even icicles in caves

Get over yourself

ah147

It's locked for the same reason any cave is ever locked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

martinm

Mark said:
Ok the "formations" look nice but what will you get precious about next, cementicles under motorway bridges, culverts, railway tunnels or even icicles in caves

Get over yourself

Descending into personal bickering again, eh? Those formations are awesome and allow scientists to examine how they've been formed and how quickly adding to our knowledge of the subject.

I suggest YOU "Get over yourself" and suggest this thread is locked asap by the mods.

ttxela

I get the impression access was legitimate and nothing was damaged?

Surely photos of sites with restricted access are no problem unless they provide information on how to circumvent the restrictions.

After all it is possible to buy books of photos of Lechuguilla  :confused: