1970's Cars in Welsh Slate Mine

royfellows

This guy is only a beginner!
The real biscuit has to go to some pratt who runs an outdoor centre who fed the press a story about a pile of stemming cartridges in Parc (Llanrwst) being explosives, and the resulting story suggesting that the mountain was about to go up!

Stemming cartridges for those who don't know are made up from rock dust wrapped in old newspapers. I have yet to see gelignite madeup in old newspapers.
Of course, it could be iffy Chinese gelignite bought cheap off eBay
:LOL:

Wayland Smith

royfellows said:
I have yet to see gelignite madeup in old newspapers.

Remember people, the miners left  "other brown things" wrapped in newspaper!  :eek:
Take care what you are picking up.

AR

royfellows said:
This guy is only a beginner!
The real biscuit has to go to some pratt who runs an outdoor centre who fed the press a story about a pile of stemming cartridges in Parc (Llanrwst) being explosives, and the resulting story suggesting that the mountain was about to go up!

Stemming cartridges for those who don't know are made up from rock dust wrapped in old newspapers. I have yet to see gelignite madeup in old newspapers.

I did once come across a red ammo box that had been left behind in a mine (not generally accessible) by the late Buster Wright, which I gently opened - inside were a number of cylinders wrapped in newspaper that were giving off a lovely smell of marizpan!  :eek: Needless to say, I closed the box with even more care and delicacy than I opened it, I will have to go back one day with paraffin and sawdust and deal with it...

robjones

Once came across a rough wooden box of about 4 cubic feet capacity in a short dry side passage deep inside very obscure and unvisited workings that we dug into. There was a certain inevitability as to its contents and my apprehensions were proved correct* so I very carefully closed the lid and crept away. As it was seven pitches and three digs (one since filled) into the workings I'm pretty sure no one else has been there since.

[* three quarters full of sticks with gelignite sweat crystalised all over their wrappers]

royfellows

The real stuff is fairly commonplace in the inner reaches of Nenthead, but all dried out by now.