Which mendip cave should I do next

alastairgott

Little predicament, i'm coming down to mendip in a week for the Yorkies annual meet in mendip, somewhere near the hunters lodge :beer: but have no idea what trips i should do.

personally i've done st cuthberts, shatter cave, swildons and last year I did charterhouse and upper flood. thanks to all the brilliant leaders.

GB cavern?
or any other suggestions, hints, tips or offers :eek: welcome.

Oceanrower

GB is a fantastic trip. Can recomment Hunters Lodge Ainn Sink for a short but very interesting afternoon.

When you say you've 'done' Swildons, I bet you haven't!

Go a little off the tourist route and it'll keep you amused for years.....

Nigelh

Second votes for GB and Thrupe Lane Swallet. For something 'special' if you are a bit more of a connoisseur (or should that be connoisewer) try Manor Farm Swallet. Very Mendip.

alastairgott

anyone know where I can find a description for Swildons? could be interesting to have a poke in the side passages. interested in going to st pauls, see new forum topic.

cap'n- do you know where i can find a description/rigging guides for the thrupe or eastwater exchanges.

i'll need a keg of cider to decide whether Manor Farm Swallet is a good idea or not!

Les W

Descriptions of Swildons are in Mendip Underground and also the Swildons book

Nothing wrong with Manor Farm Swallet, a very fine cave, don't believe all you hear...
('tis better in the winter though  :-\ but with all the rain so far this summer it will be clean and fresh(ish))  ;)

graham

alastairgott said:
anyone know where I can find a description for Swildons? could be interesting to have a poke in the side passages. interested in going to st pauls, see new forum topic.

The best one can be found in this book.

alastairgott said:
i'll need a keg of cider to decide whether Manor Farm Swallet is a good idea or not!

It's an excellent cave. It's also the second deepest cave on Mendip at 179 m (ignoring the incorrect 182 m oft quoted for Wookey). Since the extensions a couple of summers back, no full survey of the cave has yet been published, but the survey prior to that can be found here.

whitelackington

graham said:
alastairgott said:

The best one can be found in this book.

alastairgott said:

It's an excellent cave. It's also the second deepest cave on Mendip at 179 m (ignoring the incorrect 182 m oft quoted for Wookey). Since the extensions a couple of summers back, no full survey of the cave has yet been published, but the survey prior to that can be found here.
Is there a more up to date survey for Pierre's Pot Graham,
I've heard a rumour that there is a kilometre of cave now?

graham

whitelackington said:
Is there a more up to date survey for Pierre's Pot Graham,
I've heard a rumour that there is a kilometre of cave now?

Kev & Claire have surveyed all their finds beyond the first sump, but the R/L that was done seems to make that sump too long so something needs correcting somewhere but we're not yet sure what.