flooding tomorrow!

Andy Sparrow

With the ground saturated, stream levels already high and heavy rain forecast for tomorrow it would seem likely that many Mendip caves will be in flood tomorrow (Saturday 8th December).

Slug

Andy Sparrow said:
With the ground saturated, stream levels already high and heavy rain forecast for tomorrow it would seem likely that many Mendip caves will be in flood tomorrow (Saturday 8th December).

Well,,,, are they ?.

Slug

Hmmmmmmmmm. I see, still it should keep the novices out  and freshen up the air in there a bit.:sneaky:,

ian.p

well weve discovered a stream way in gibbets unfourtunatly we havent discovered any more cave :cautious:......yet (y)

Andy Sparrow

Swildons was over the top pipe and Thrupe entrance under water.  Didn't see Longwood entrance but there were two huge streams crossing the road to converge on the cave.   

graham said:
The connection between Rod's pot & Bath Swallet is flooded.

Any more info on this?  We know this happens a few times a year but would be interested in first hand observations.

Hatstand

Swildons on Saruday was being watered down the manhole in the blockhouse....

...but only because my arse was wedged in the overflow pipe!!!  :sneaky:

GB this afternoon was full of water to the bottom of the ladder to ladder dig. There were three distinct foam lines on the walls - one at the top of the ladder (but probably not high enough to sump the dig) one a couple of feet down from that, and one about 6 feet up from where we were stood.

bru

did I mention I'm a tremendous physical coward? (in addition to having a karabiner fetish)  :-[

Christian_Chourot

Hatstand said:
GB this afternoon was full of water to the bottom of the ladder to ladder dig. There were three distinct foam lines on the walls - one at the top of the ladder (but probably not high enough to sump the dig) one a couple of feet down from that, and one about 6 feet up from where we were stood.

I was there on Saturday when the water was at the top of the ladder...precisely how stupid would swimming over there have been? I was almost tempted until I thought of the 7 metres of cold water and unknown underneath it!

Elaine

bru said:
did I mention I'm a tremendous physical coward? (in addition to having a karabiner fetish)  :-[

That can't be true - you are one of my heroes Bru! Anyone who wants to go in Stoke Lane more than once is a hero (or mad). I did it twice - I am mad.

B

BenM

Damn!
I would have love to have seen the water to the top of the ladder dig!  :eek: Just in case "Whitelackington" is wondering... yes, I can confirm that the dig is most definatly flooded!  :mad: Again..

I was down a very wet Hunters on Saturday... it seemed the rain followed us underground!  :)

But apparently thats it "rain wise" for a week or so...  :-\

graham

We swam over to the top of the Ladder Dig Climb aeons ago when we first saw it flowing over the top & down towards Helictite Grotto. If it's backed up that far there is hardly a raging whirlpool waiting to drag you under.

It actually does it less frequently now than 10-15 years ago, seemingly the water gets away a bit better through the bottom choke as the '68 flood mud deposits slowly get washed through.

graham

Can I make a quick comment about kit, here.

Anyone getting involved with that much water underground should bear in mind that even the best fleece/oversuit combo is nowhere near as good as a wetsuit in dealing with these conditions.