Alderley Edge Mines on BBC1 Countryfile tonight 6-30pm

graham

Will be there in a couple of weeks. Alan Garner, author of The Wierdstone of Brisingeman which is largely set on the Edge, is giving a lecture to mark the fiftieth anniversary of its publication.

Mrs Trellis

Where's the lecture at? The underground parts of the Weirdstone is mostly set  in West Mine with some bits of Engine Vein and Wood Mine (on Countryfile). The surface bits are mostly between Engine Vein and the Edge at Stormy point above the Hough level.

Interestingly "The Moon of Gomrath"  has bits of the workings at the bottom of the hill on the De Trafford land.

Mrs Trellis

That's what comes of being born on top of a tumulus. I always make a libation on top of Mam Tor - just in case.

graham

Mrs Trellis said:
Where's the lecture at? The underground parts of the Weirdstone is mostly set  in West Mine with some bits of Engine Vein and Wood Mine (on Countryfile). The surface bits are mostly between Engine Vein and the Edge at Stormy point above the Hough level.

Interestingly "The Moon of Gomrath"  has bits of the workings at the bottom of the hill on the De Trafford land.

Dunno where it is, the dear lady wife looks after the arrangements, I'm just the driver. Went down West Mine with Nigel years back and am really looking forward to seeing it again. Just as long as they clear all the svarts out first.

T pot 2

Sadly I missed the programme but have been told that it was one of the DCC members who did the guiding, out of interest can anyone give me his name

graham

T pot 2 said:
Sadly I missed the programme but have been told that it was one of the DCC members who did the guiding, out of interest can anyone give me his name

Didn't see it (am in wrong country for BBC) but am told it was Nigel Dibben.

dunc

Aye Nigel, shown us round Alderley a couple of times, knowledgeable chap and makes the visit more interesting. Shame that feature on CF wasn't a little longer!