Milltown Shafts

Big Jim

Last week Rob Middleton and myself had a look at a few shafts at Milltown nr Ashover. I had known about one (B) for years but only recently stumbled across shaft A in the wood off Back Lane and shaft C just off the footpath behind the miners arms close to where the settling lagoons from the old Milltown Quarry used to be.

I presumed that Shaft B was on the Gregory Mine sough as I had looked between the sleepers in the past and seen water which looked to be flowing. Sadly it was just blind shaft about 6-7m deep.

Shaft A, covered by a makeshift grill and plate, in the woods was about 15m deep with two ways on. A low level to the north(ish) extending max 6m to what looked like a run in from surface, and a level extending about 9m south(ish).  There were a few decaying spades down there but nothing of any great age.

Shaft C, a concrete sleeper covered shaft. Approx 3m in diameter and about 6-7m depth. At -2m a large iron bar is wedged across the shaft, looking like it was placed to prevent the ginging from running in. A couple of meters below an iron pipe enters the shaft. I didn't bottom this one as the air didn't smell good at all.  There was water in the bottom and I couldn't see any way on....

There is another concrete sleeper covered shaft about 6m away from shaft C that we didn't get to look at.

Has anyone looked down these before or does anyone know anything about them?

Jim

Attachments

• milltown shafts.pdf
    407.3 KB · Views: 125

martinb

Also try messaging Lampwick of this parish, IIRC he has had some dealings in the area.

Looking at the map, do 'Gin Lane' and 'Gynn House' give the game away for what may lie beneath?