Devonshire Mine - DCA Volunteer Request

Pete K

Thanks for looking.
Since the change in ownership of Devonshire Mine, access to other entrances into the mine have become viable options if made secure and DCA and its volunteers have established a good relationship with the new owners. Last year we capped a shaft in their garden which cavers can use to access the system downhill of the normal entrance. Now the DCA is looking for help in securing the top entrance and installing a gate with Derbyshire key system like the main entrance.
I've already been over to look a the site and have a good idea what can be done. It's really a bit too far for me to be taking this one on myself and could do with a local to spearhead the work with any back-up that I can supply.
I suspect this entrance adit can be secured by building a mortared wall up to about 2 feet high and then getting a gate and frame fabricated up to fit on top of the new wall and bolted to the rock either side. Any remaining gap above the gate can be sealed with large panels of the galvanised steel grill that DCA has plenty of.

Can you help?

Pete Knight
DCA Projects Officer

pwhole

Are there any photos the current situation? I've never seen it from the outside.

Pete K

Idiotically, I forgot to take any when we were there on the mine inspection visit.

Pete K

Cheers zomjon, I was half hoping he might see this....
We have some offers already from a local outdoor firm so it might just be a case of an experienced overseer required a bit like his help at Kirkland Shaft.

AR

I did have a look at it with a view to securing it a few years back after I redid the main door. I'd suggest getting all of the old knackered steelwork out and then doing what you've proposed, though from my experience of the main entrance door some thought about how the door frame is fitted to the wall would be worthwhile.