Orpheus - decent Public House nearby?

Hi folks

Not strictly caving related, sorry.

Anyway, can anyone advise as to whether there is one nearby, ideally within walking distance, or should one bring their own refreshment if spending the night there?

Thanks

BradW

The Jug and Glass (nearest) or the Royal Oak at Hurdlow are both places I have walked to from Orpheus.

2xw

The Orpheus is pleasantly remote. You can walk to a pub along the high peak trail but this is a fair walk I suspect. I'd take your own

We'll have an old chap with us, who hurt himself last time I had to do any kind of a 'walk' with him, so it looks like self-supply will be the way to go then.

Many thanks.

Maj

If I recall you can walk or cycle along the Tissington Trail. We've taken bikes to the Orpheus in the past and on one occasion we were able to borrow a tandem. If still available, would that suit your elder gentleman?  :)

Maj.

Ian Ball

We walked in deep snow once along I think the Tissington Trail, looking at it it might have been to The Waterloo Inn at Biggin.
I can pretty much say it was as memorable a still night walk as I've ever embarked on, no one for miles, still as can be, a cherished experience.  The gable of the pub was well lit as a beacon of warmth, the way back was somewhat quicker and less cold somehow  :-\

I would assume on foot we would have gone to the closest but I don't remember the Jug and Glass.

BradW

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/53%C2%B009'00.3%22N+1%C2%B046'01.8%22W/@53.1500833,-1.7685847,356m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m6!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d53.1500821!4d-1.7671649?hl=en

Jug and Glass Inn.

paul

Forget the Royal Oak: it's a restaurant that sells drinks rather than a pub nowadays. Nearest pub is the Jug and Glass along the A515. The Bull i' th' Thorn looks like it has closed down. Waterloo Inn in Biggin is good, as is the Duke of York further along the A515 towards Buxton and the Bull in Monyash.

Might be easier to bring your own if you don't want to drive.

Great responses, thanks v much.

We might have a designated driver, but the issue of snow lingering on to Sat night is putting me off trying to drive my shit heap there.

Might just bugger off after Saturday's trip.

paul

I live fairly near and the roads here are clear - just very wet. Keep an eye on the forecast, unless there is a lot of snow tomorrow, you will probably OK.

Have a look at this Buxton web cam tomorrow. If it looks OK there, you should be OK.

http://www.buxtonwebcam.com/

alastairgott

Snowy right now.

Attachments

• buxton.jpg
    buxton.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 154

Jenny P

If you don't mind walking along a main road, then up the Cottage track to the A515 (0.5k), and then south along the main road for 1.5k, will get you to the Jug & Glass - good food and a pleasant atmosphere but a wee bit "restauranty".  So around 2k altogether and actually the closest pub.

The walkers route to reach the Waterloo in Biggin, a proper drinkers pub which also does food:  from the Cottage, go south along the Tissington trail for approx. 2.5k to the Heathcote road bridge crossing (just over 0.5k past Hartington signal box), go down the minor road into Heathcote (300m), turn left at the "roundabout" and carry on down the lane and along the footpath across the fields (approx. 1k), and you'll come out right by the Waterloo in Biggin.  So around 3k altogether.  By road it's a bit further but it's easy to find as Biggin is signposted from the A515, about 1k past the Newhaven turn, where the garage is.

As Paul says, the Royal Oak is now effectively a restaurant with very little space for drinkers.  (The Bull i' t' Thorn, 4k along the A515, is now closed.)  However the Duke of York, about 5k from the Cottage along the main road towards Buxton, is an excellent pub which also does good food.  There is also the Bull's Head in Monyash, about 4k to drive.

So nothing really close by now but quite a few within reasonable distance.  Or else BYO.

zomjon

If beer is the important thing, then there is no choice. At present The Waterloo has on Moorhouses' Blonde, Fuller's Winter Ale and to really sew it up, Titanic's Plum Porter!

AR

You can walk to both the Jug & Glass and the Waterloo from the Orpheus largely avoiding the main roads. For the J&G, follow the old railway line towards Friden, carry on past the brickworks, then when you come to the green lane go left up the hill, and left when you meet the A515 - the pub is a short distance away. My suggested route for the Waterloo would be go towards Pikehall on the old railway and turn right onto the green lane, follow this up the hill and turn right at the top. This will bring you out on the A515 more or less opposite the road to Biggin, and there's a footpath all the way down to the pub.

Due to earlier shenanigans in the snow we were running quite behind schedule so ended up somewhere called 'The Carriages'. Did the job at 2130.

AR

Ah, the restaurant at Pikehall - hope they had half-decent beer for you!

paul

The Carriages (technically Newhaven AR, rather than Pikehall) - never been there. What was it like? Expensive?