Devonshire Caverns Survey

Smudge375

Does anyone have a decent survey of Devonshire? or know a link to one. I've got the usual COPD but looking for a larger version, ideally PDF.
Can't really find much in the usual places.

pwhole

John Barnatt and Terry Worthington produced a very high-quality survey for their 'Metal Mines Through Time' edition of PDMHS 'Mining History', Vol 17 - 5. I don't know if the survey has been published outside of this paper though. It's not currently available for download on the PDMHS site sadly - it was, as I downloaded it last year.

phizz4

If you can email me I can attach a Word file that I have that has a fairly detailed survey done by Nigel Atkins.

Jenny P

The British Caving Library has a photocopy of the Barnatt & Worthington survey in the form of 7 x A3 sheets.  (I presume this is the one pwhole refers to.)

Would this be of use or is it a bit OTT ?  If you are interested, contact the Librarian through the BCL website.

Jenny Potts,
Library Co-ordinator

pwhole

That's the one, definitely. I think if it were laminated into a giant scroll it would be a useful (if somewhat awkward) thing to use. Definitely OTT for taking underground, but how many surveys have every pebble drawn on? ;)

mch

pwhole said:
John Barnatt and Terry Worthington produced a very high-quality survey for their 'Metal Mines Through Time' edition of PDMHS 'Mining History', Vol 17 - 5.
Just had a look at my copy to check my recollection that the survey was in 3 separate parts - it's actually vol 17 no 3, not no 5.

Jenny P

The relevant PDMHS volume is actually Vol. 17, No. 3, Summer 2009, also in the British Caving Library.  The article, no. 3 of the series which make up this volume, is called Coalpit Rake/Devonshire Cavern, Matlock Bath.

A check shows that the survey of Devonshire/Coalpit Rake is split into separate figures (nos. 13 to  26), through the course of the article so that each section of the survey is shown in detail.  This may be more useful.

AR

It should still be available through the website, but the search is being problematic at the moment. Putting back the list by volume is on our webmaster's list of things to do ...

However, I have an electronic copy of the 7-page printout Jenny mentions - it has a smaller scale version of the survey spread over two pages, and the detailed large-scale version spread over four.

Smudge375

Cheers guys this is fantastic :)
Did my first trip in there last night. Only covered about a 1/4 of it and just stayed in the upper section. It would be great to get to know the mine better :-D

AR

I was in there myself leading a trip right to the top on Tuesday! You have an email as requested.... (y)

Oscar D

I am looking to do a trip into Devonshire in a couple of weeks time. However, I have looked high and low for a survey and can?t find a thing. If anyone could link/email me a copy it would br greatly appreciated. Thanks all.  ;)

Jenny P

Sounds like your best bet is to contact AR as he's able to provide something sensible or else point you to where you could download one.

It is intended that a survey will be put on the DCA website at www.theDCA.org.uk but I don't know if it's on yet.

ILT

https://pdmhs.co.uk/MiningHistory/Bulletin%2017-3%20-%20Metal%20Mines%20through%20Time.pdf

aardgoose

With John Barnatt's kind permission, the surveys that are included in the PDMHS journal are now available separately at

https://peakdistrictcaving.info/home/the-caves/derwent-south/devonshire-cavern

Enjoy

2xw

Brilliant that the survey has been uploaded.

What was mined there? The survey refers to "flatting" but I thought that was a coal mining thing?

mikem

Smallcleugh lead mine at Nenthead has numerous flats... The miners moved around between which ever minerals were in demand at the time...

Mike