Treak Cliff Cavern - ongoing exploration

martinb

Following on from our Treak Cliff Discoveries (Descent 260), both diggers (yours truly and markc of this parish), have moved house from the rolling hills of Derbyshire. Markc is now resident in South Wales, fairly close to Langattock. I myself have moved abroad to Normandy in France, set up a gite and am drinking too much wine and eating bread and cheese as if it was going out of fashion, with only a small limestone outlier about 40 minute drive away.

This brings me to the crux of the matter. In Treak Cliff Cavern (TCC) we reached a depth of 258m AOD, a small streamlet was disappearing along a tight gap between a solid wall and an unconsolidated scree pile at the bottom of a squalid dig. This was still quite a lot higher than the water resurging at Russet Well. Somewhere inbetween the water from TCC joins up with that from Blue John Cavern, with the possibility of a sizeable conduit may lie therein.

A number of other leads lie within TCC:

1) at the southern end of 1926 passage there is a small chamber, filled with scree/soil, it may lead somewhere. Close to the fan in 1926 passage there is a choked connection to high level areas in Dome of St Pauls.

2) Under the path, close to 7 dwarves, there is a small pool of water which does drain away occaisionally, this may connect with a squalid dig started by Moose off to the right .

3) Off to the east of the path and down a squeeze there is a sizeable void with a large scree pile, off to the left, there may be an extension. Also, in the floor of the void, there may be a connection to the choked aven in Marbles, some 10m lower.

4) there is still an unclimbed aven in the main show cave, up above 7 dwarves.

5) A number of digs in the mine side of TCC in old mine workings.

Vicky, owner of TCC is eager for a small number of cavers to continue exploration and keep pushing. John Turner, her son, is willing to help occaisionally, as well as show what has already been found. We also helped with rubbish clean ups during the quiet season, we were happy to show/tell paying public what we were doing, it was all good PR for the caving community.

Rob

Martin, good summary and great of you to share. Hopefully some people will be enthused, especially with your recent successes in there...  (y)

martinb

Rob said:
Martin, good summary and great of you to share. Hopefully some people will be enthused, especially with your recent successes in there...  (y)

Cheers Rob

And many thanks for excellent pictures - especially making markc and me look vaguely human!