What are these? Lathkill Head cave.

wellyjen

Went down Lathkill Head Top Entrance yesterday and we got in to Tiger3. Completely dry down there and a strong draught, so could be open to Lathkill Head Cave. Will try the through trip hopefully before the weather breaks.
In Tiger 3 there are lots of weird shell like nodules in the roof, around two to three inches diameter. Anyone know what they are and how they form? Dinosaur eggs?  ;)
Some pictures below.

Jen

Attachments

• eggs2.JPG
    eggs2.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 284
  • eggs4.JPG
    eggs4.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 135

Pete K

Except for the colour, they look like the oysters in the roof of many of the Stoney Dale caves. Stoney ones are mud brown!

AR

I'm inclined towards them being chert nodules, but I'd need to go and take a look to be certain. Might have to go for a crawl up in the near future....

Antwan

As you go down the second ladder in lathkill head an turn right to the 'sump' that won't have been there... Those are definitely fossilised oyster beds. That's as far as I could get to. Size seems right, hard to tell with the direct lighting

Peregrina

Pete K said:
Except for the colour, they look like the oysters in the roof of many of the Stoney Dale caves. Stoney ones are mud brown!

There are certainly parts of Lathkill Head that look just like the roof in Carlswark. These are darker than the ones I've seen upstream of Lathkiller Hall though.

owd git

oyster fossils would have scalloped similarly  to the matrix limestone,chert would possibly remain protuberant as in pic's. in my opinion. O.G.