HD hero mounting

Alex

This has likely been covered somewhere in the past but I am after more technical information on a particular setup that would suit me before I take the plunge and buy one. I am thinking of attaching an HD hero 4 camera to a lanyard or something that I can wear around my neck. There's no room on my helmet!
I need to know if there are know is there any attachment points I could use for this, has it been done in the past? I think I spoke to someone who said they do it but I forgot who it was!

I tried it with my camera I simply tied the strap that you wrap around your hand to a small bit of tat I wore round my neck. I then wrapped the camera in the wrist part of the  cord and pulled it tight to keep it steady, but the HD hero 4 don't seem to have a hand cord/draw string?

Basically any photos/descriptions of chest set-ups will do me. I know you can buy a chest harness thing for it but is that any good for caving? Looks like bulky. My camera (Lumix 3) don't take great videos otherwise I would use that.

Bottlebank

I had a play with one a while ago and reached the conclusion that chest mount was the way to go. The chest harness didn't seem to bulky.

Basic problem was my head moves around too much underground, but then I only tried it in a fairly narrow cave.

Lighting seemed the biggest problem.

SamT

nearly all bodily mounted film footage I've ever seen of caving is totally and utterly nauseatingly un-watchable

[/2p]

Duncan S

I've used a chest harness with my GoPro and it provides far steadier video than with the head.
The main problem is crawls and climbs as the camera is pointing dead-ahead and doesn't show anything particularly useful; but for normal passages it is great.

As for lighting, I recommend a head torch with a very wide flood with adequate brightness.
My current head torch is only medium brightness, but my Hero 4 Silver seems to cope just fine. The main issue is that the flood is not wide enough and part of the image is always unlit.

Bottlebank

I also reached the conclusion that I'd need a lot of footage and even more editing to produce anything remotely useable, and a far faster PC to process it all on.

cap n chris

SamT said:
nearly all bodily mounted film footage I've ever seen of caving is totally and utterly nauseatingly un-watchable

[/2p]

Indeed, but if 2 second segments are inter-cut with tripod-mounted footage you can get away with it without upsetting the audience.

Unedited helmet-mounted footage is unwatchable, for sure.

Caver Keith

I've got a chesty mount for my GoPro and used sparingly in caving videos I feel it gives good results which are a lot less shaky than those taken with helmet mounts. I've used it in crawls too by mounting the camera upside down and then angling it up by 90 degrees.

AliRoll

I've experimented with my hero 4 sliver on a small tripod (gorilla pod) and a lanyard (so i don't drop it ;) ) this can work quite nicely for filming SRT and abseiling, admittedly haven't tried this in a cave yet, Caves are rare in Essex :-\ . Trees and a small cliff have given results that I am quite happy with.

on a separate note I've been using my camera on 1080pi 45fps with auto low light at night and the results are quite good with only a fenix hp25 full flood; I am interested in what setting people use underground