Pontypool iron mine dig

Alkapton

I have found the enterence to an old iron level near Pontypool.  Landowner/lease holder relations seem good.  I need help opening it up.  There are two problems.  The enterence is collapsed deliberatly so some heavy lifting is needed.  The enterence is flooded.

The water level can I think be lowered by restoring the mines old drainage...  50 yards of small ditch should be enougth.

If the level is like others in the area it is worth the effort what I can see of original tunnel is good quality.

So if anyone has enthusiasm for such a dig please contact me.

Alkapton

Dig is progressing better than I thought it would.  Thanks to Tony (probably not the Tony you first think of) water level has dropped a few inches with minimal effort, so that gives some hope.   

Having said that its still only me shifting big stones so I dont expect to get in any time soon.  I need to move a couple of digging items near the mine to make life simpler.  Once I done that I pm all you who have shown interest (thank you) and try to arrainge a date when its not raining too much.  Don't know how far enterence collapse goes, my guess is at least another 10 - 15 feet only then will I know if this mine is accessible but its well worth effort.