Hidden Earth 2013 - 27th to 29th September 2013

Les W

Hi all,
I can now (at last) confirm the date of this year's Hidden Earth. It will be held over the weekend of the 27th to the 29th of September.
The venue is our 'plan B' venue as the original venue is no longer suitable (refurbishment works mean some of the required spaces are not going to be available in September :( ).

The location is Monmouth Comprehensive School and Leisure Centre (The place where we were 2 years ago :) )

paull

thanks for the info  (y) i thought Monmouth was a great venue and look forward to going back

T-Shirt Design Competition. We're short of a volunteer to run the "Best Club T-Shirt" competition this year.  If anyone's interested in volunteering, this is a rough "job description"...

• Turn up on Friday evening with enough signs and notices and paraphernalia that you require to display the T-shirts. (This could be just a washing line and pegs, or coat-hangers, but other options are possible. We will give you a list of people to talk to in advance, who might be able to give you ideas; and its possible (Les?) that we have some display material ourselves, left over from previous years).
  • Rig your display, under the supervision of the trade hall manager. Because youre new to the job, and because each venue is different, be prepared for a significant amount of compromise and ad-hoc working.
  • Competition entry is "on the day" so you need to be present throughout Saturday morning to receive entries,  check that forms are filled in, hang the entries, provide advice to entrants etc.
  • Label the entries. This may involve some computer data entry under supervision of one of the Technical team or Photo Salon team.
  • Keep an eye on everything T-shirt-related throughout the weekend.
  • Clear up on Sunday afternoon.
Further Information
  • The rules of the competition are essentially those of the Art Salon, here, where the "missing" text, which I will add if/when we get a volunteer, is We also offer a "T-Shirt artwork" competition. You are invited to display your club T-shirt, featuring your own artwork. There will be a delegate ballot for the best design, and a single prize awarded to the winner.
  • Because the prize is by delegate ballot, being the organiser does not prevent you from entering the competition yourself. Also, because you are an "essential member of staff" you (but not all your mates (unless we find them other jobs to do) :) will get free admission for the weekend.
  • If youre interested, please contact Les Williams or myself. (Dont post me a PM [they dont seem to work] or reply here [I dont often visit]. Instead, email me directly via the address here )

Hels

This is a great shame it is not in Mendip as we were just going to pop in for one day as it is so close to our wedding and cant afford to give up a whole weekend!

Well you will just have to make it mendip next year :) ...

Fulk

Well, Hels . . . how does it go.. . 'you can please some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people some of the time, but not all of the people all of the time'.  ;)

Well done Les & team for organizing it.

Les W

Hels said:
This is a great shame it is not in Mendip as we were just going to pop in for one day as it is so close to our wedding and cant afford to give up a whole weekend!

Hells, Monmouth is "just over the bridge" so you can still just pop in for the day. It's not far, honest...  ;)

estelle

it's under 1.5hrs each way from centre of the universe to Monmouth, so easily doable as a day trip - it's no worse than travelling to many of the South Wales caves and back in a day which a lot of Mendip peeps are happy enough to do. Personally i'm just glad it is still down South and while it's a shame it's not on Mendip, the reasons are fully understandable and well done to the Hidden Earth team for organising.  :clap:

cavermark

Was the change from the "usual" weekend (i.e 20/21/22/23 ish Sept in recent years) down to the problems getting a venue too?

I know it's a long way off - but is the intention for 2014 to go back to the "usual" weekend if possible?

(it's handy to know for expedition planning)
Thanks

Les W

cavermark said:
Was the change from the "usual" weekend (i.e 20/21/22/23 ish Sept in recent years) down to the problems getting a venue too?

I know it's a long way off - but is the intention for 2014 to go back to the "usual" weekend if possible?

(it's handy to know for expedition planning)
Thanks

Strangely, the usual weekend has been the last complete weekend of September, apart from last years which was one week earlier (although only 1 day earlier in reality, but that is how the weekends fall in the calender)>

It has been our intention to try and keep the same weekend where possible and that is the last complete weekend of September (i.e. the last weekend that doesn't cross into October).

For 2014 it will be our intention to try and get this weekend, which in 2014 equates to 26th to 28th September, however, until it is booked it isn't confirmed...

kdxn

The latest Descent (232) page 5 announces two new Cave Survey competitions to be introduced at Hidden Earth 2013.

The first competition will be for a Cave Survey salon to be judged by delegates.
The second competition will be for a digital Cave Survey submitted to the BCA Cave Survey Registry during the twelve months prior to Hidden Earth and which will be judged by the BCRA Cave Surveying Group appointed judge(s).

The first prize for each will be a Disto X310 donated by Leica Geosystems.
Leica has donated sufficient prizes for three years.

http://www.leica-geosystems.co.uk/en/Leica-DISTO-X310_98484.htm

The X310 is the latest ruggedised Disto and which includes a tilt sensor.

Footleg with the support of the BCRA Cave Surveying Group will be managing the competition.

Full details of the competition rules and how to enter will be posted on the Hidden Earth website.

This is the first year for these two new competitions.
Please support Footleg and the BCRA cave surveying group with your participation.

I would like to thank everyone helping with this especially Leica Geosystems for the donation of prizes.

Amy

Oooh totally entering that. Not that I'll probably win any survey competition but hey, I've sketched up a cave we found and mapped, and next year hope to do a resurvey project (which will include exploration into virgin passage - needs bolt climbed and you can see it from the ground so we know it's virgin up there!) and could definitely use a Disto system!!!

kdxn

Just a quick update to interrupt the topic of a wet t-shirt competition..........

The details of the new Hidden Earth Cave Surveying competitions have now been posted at the following webpage

http://hidden-earth.org.uk/competitions/surveying.html

Your opportunity to show off your cave surveys and win one of two Leica Disto X310 waterproof laser rangefinders.

Entries for the Digital Cave Survey submission to the UK Cave Survey Registry need to be in during the next month.
Get yourself registered with write access to the Registry and get your data in there.