Wapping/cumberland

markpot

Does any one know if a detailed survey is avaliable anywhere?i have checked the usual places (DCA,pdmhs ,aditnow ect)but was only able to uncover some poor quality ones.Any help much appreciated  (y)

Jenny P

DCA has a publication by Dave Webb and John Barnett on Cumberland/Wapping and this includes surveys.  It is one of the series of Cave Conservation Audits which Dave did for DCA.  Details are:

CUMBERLAND CAVERN & WAPPING MINE, MATLOCK BATH, DERBYSHIRE
Compiled by John Barnatt and David Webb for the Derbyshire Caving Association.  Published June 2003
Price:  ?11.00 plus 90p postage
Including a description of the Geological, Mineralogical and Archaeological interest of the site and a Conservation Plan.  Includes colour photographs together with maps and surveys.  Contains bibliography and glossary plus appendices.  Includes a brief account of the accessible passages of both Wapping Mine and Cumberland Cavern with maps and surveys and a brief summary of the past history of the system and previous research undertaken here.  The character of natural and archaeological features worthy of conservation is outlined and practical conservation measures are discussed for this important Scheduled Site of Scientific Interest.
Specification:  48 pages A4 plus 3 x A3 surveys; 44 illustrations 13 pages of colour photos; plastic cover & spine binder.

PM me if you'd like to buy a copy.

teabag

Pretty good survey in the bulletin, albeit with a watermark across
https://pdmhs.co.uk/MiningHistory/Bulletin%205-2%20-%20Wapping%20Mine%20and%20Cumberland%20Cavern,%20Matlock%20Bath.pdf

Pete K

I always find it quite satisfying to purchase a survey or journal with a survey in. Nice to know I supported the person or group who took the time to make the survey in some small way.
The publication Jenny suggests is an excellent read too.

Pete K

Very glad I joined PDMHS this year, sooo much good stuff lurking in those publications.

markpot

I agree,and fully support anyone who did the survey,just wondered if there was anything free online.Thanks all,will get my hand in my pocket (y)

markpot

Pete,you are corret re:pdmhs,i frequent there resourses often.when i was younger(12ish), i attended the monday night group with my unkle and god father(who had good luck mine at the time)pizza and milk stout in the fishpond after :beer:, joining up soon (y)

Jenny P

Have now checked and the DCA Cumberland/Wapping publication has been upgraded and the surveys (dated I think 2001), come in the form of 2 x A1 sheets with lots of extra information on them.  They were done by Dave Webb and John Barnatt and the information written on the survey sheets is very detailed, in addition to all the additional stuff in the book itself.  There are additional larger scale surveys of particular areas in the book.

ttxela2

Jenny P said:
DCA has a publication by Dave Webb and John Barnett on Cumberland/Wapping and this includes surveys.  It is one of the series of Cave Conservation Audits which Dave did for DCA.  Details are:

CUMBERLAND CAVERN & WAPPING MINE, MATLOCK BATH, DERBYSHIRE
Compiled by John Barnatt and David Webb for the Derbyshire Caving Association.  Published June 2003
Price:  ?11.00 plus 90p postage
Including a description of the Geological, Mineralogical and Archaeological interest of the site and a Conservation Plan.  Includes colour photographs together with maps and surveys.  Contains bibliography and glossary plus appendices.  Includes a brief account of the accessible passages of both Wapping Mine and Cumberland Cavern with maps and surveys and a brief summary of the past history of the system and previous research undertaken here.  The character of natural and archaeological features worthy of conservation is outlined and practical conservation measures are discussed for this important Scheduled Site of Scientific Interest.
Specification:  48 pages A4 plus 3 x A3 surveys; 44 illustrations 13 pages of colour photos; plastic cover & spine binder.

PM me if you'd like to buy a copy.

I sent you a PM Jenny  (y)

Jenny P

Thanks for posting that Scud.

I am dealing with publications sales for DCA where we are selling a printed version, as opposed to Mel's downloadable pdf.