Danny - a bit of info required please...

Addy

Planning a Far North trip in Danny shortly. Not been much beyond the Rising for some time now so need a memory refresher on the ladder requirements for Birthday Pitch. Tim Stafford says 50' but I seem to remember it being less than that - especially if a long belay is used at the  head.

Also, how tricky is the climb up North Aven?

Any info/guidance welcomed.
Thanks,
Graham.

Tony_B

Hi Addy,
            most people tend to use SRT on Birthday Pitch these days. You may find it is already rigged but do not rely on this! If you do take ladders then it doesn't need as much as 50ft but as ladders tend to be in 20 or 25 ft lengths you definitely need more than one. And this is not a place to be climbing ladders without a lifeline.

North Aven is a straightforward free climb and has a fixed rope - of uncertain age - on it, that is a handline and not an SRT rope.

A trip to the Far North and back will probably take you most of 7hrs, even moving quickly, and in my humble opinion is one of the finest trips in Europe. 

Addy

Hi Tony - Thanks for the info.
Did think about SRT so will probably do just that. I seem to remember last time we were there, we used 2 x 25' ladders which gave us ample. I thought a 30' might do it with a long belay... anyway, SRT it is.
Thanks also for the North Av en info. Been too the bottom of it quite a few times but never up it. This time will, hopefully, be different. Just need the weather to be kind to us...
Thanks again,
Graham.

jonj

Addy

There should be a rope for protection ( run a jammer up it ) on the climb up to the Windy Way

The Windy Way traverse should be rigged

The pitch into the Great North Road should be rigged

There is a fixed rope ( run a jammer up it ) on the North Aven

If you make the trip let us know the condition of the fixed aids

Thanks

Addy

Thanks Jonj...
We were in Danny at the weekend (Saturday). I missed your posting but one of the other members of the team saw it.
All fixed aids you described were in place and in good condition. I'll fill out the usual trip report with more info.
Thanks,
Graham.