WARNING - Big Bang Pitch - WARNING

Alkapton

Abut a month ago I took a 20m rope to Big Bang,  I found the pitch was already rigged - very well rigged, the srt rope was belayed to the hanger in the roof and a 'sling' from two boulders formed a good back up.  I checked the installed rope and thought it might be a bit short of 20m so I decided to install my rope to be sure.  I belayed to a mallon that was holding the 'sling' and existing srt rope together.

I am now really greatful I use my own rope because I've become aware of a potentially leathal problem with the current rigging.  My rope was hanging in more or less exactly the same place as the {currently} installed rope.  Last week I climbed my rope and retrieved it.  Last night I cleaned my rope and found that it is 40% cut through.

The place my rope is cut is about right to have been at the bottom of the 'chimney', I think because of how the pitch is the rope must have rubbed badly on limestone at the lowest point of the chimney but still about 7m or 10m above ground.

I never noticed any problem climbing the rope, but I remember thinking it was a bit too close to the rock at that point.  Because the two ropes were in the same place, just an inch or so apart my fear is whatever happened to my rope will happen to the currently installed rope.

So please please please check the rope out before you use it again and please do not try to climb it until it is checked out.

I'd like to think the problem is only me using someone elses rigging incorrectly but I can't think what I did wrong and I fear for the saftey of the rope that is hanging there now.