Minimum age for OFD?

Andy Sparrow

Am I right in thinking there are no minimum age restrictions for OFD?  Club trip this Sunday and would like to bring junior member aged 13.

Thanks!

Andy Sparrow

Trig Gledhill

If it's any help, I did a OFD2 to Cwm Dwr when I was 12.

That was 1998, but I'm sure as long as someone is capable and you're the parent/carer/kin?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

shortscotsman

There is no minimum age for entry to OFD as far as I know [I was DO at SWCC this month..] and loads of
younger cavers do indeed go caving there.

ryanctj

There is a provisional members weekend at the club this weekend and some of the new members are bringing their children for OFD trips.

cap n chris

According to the Access Conditions, as long as people are experienced cavers then all is well. Not sure how that's defined, though, as it seems OK for novices to be allowed in.

Jopo

Cap'n Chris said:
According to the Access Conditions, as long as people are experienced cavers then all is well. Not sure how that's defined, though, as it seems OK for novices to be allowed in.

Novices don't get keys but are welcome with experienced cavers. My children first went in at 4 or 5 and the grandchildren the same.

Jopo

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Andy Sparrow said:
Am I right in thinking there are no minimum age restrictions for OFD?  Club trip this Sunday and would like to bring junior member aged 13.

Thanks!

Andy Sparrow

Did the youngster enjoy themselves?? Hope so  ;)

Heartening, reading this thread  :)

oldcaver

My 10 year old grandson enjoyed his weekend in South Wales. The highlight for him was doing the round trip in OFD 1, especially when he had to use cowstails on bolt traverse.

Fulk

By 'round trip' do you mean in up the streamway and out on the 'escape route' (or vice versa, of course)? I can imagine that the wire traverses would be very exciting for a younster ? glad he enjoyed the trip.

oldcaver

We went in by the escape route and down the stream, this made Lowe's chain an easier climb.  The climb up from bolt passage to pi chamber was interesting.

AWW

Asking for a mate...

We are both members with BCA and he has a young lad of about 6 years of age that he's been taking caving a fair bit. The lad is a natural and we would like to show him some 'proper big stuff.' Are we okay to take him into OFD1? Or are there restrictions?

oldcaver

I don't think there is a minimum age for entry into OFD, I have seen children younger than 6 down there. As for access you should check at the swwc web site  www.swcc.org.uk for full access arrangements, or even consider the Provincials/Beginners weekend at the Beginning November.