Arthur Butcher Award and Survey Salon

andrew

Arthur Butcher Award

This is an award for  contributions to cave surveying: It can be anything that turns the eyes of the judges. However, to award it we need to know about it. Please email me (address from link below) and let me know of anything that you think deserves an award, it does not necessarily  all have to have been done in the last year, the award can be for lifetime dedication or a long term project.

See http://bcra.org.uk/detail/awards.butcher.html for the previous awards

Survey Salon

I hope that you are all busy working on all those beautiful (and accurate) surveys to show off at Hidden Earth. It is always good to see the work that various groups are undertaking. After a successful trial of the small survey the salon categories have been kept the same as last year, so surveys up to the area of A3 are in their own group, so even a small breakthrough fits into this category nicely.

See https://hidden.earth/salons/survey-salon.php for details

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
It's a bug bear of mine so apologies for this public rant but...

You are advertising a competition but have made no mention of the sponsor or the prizes.  You owe it to the sponsor to mention their name at every opportunity. You should mention the prizes because they are great and it will encourage people to enter. This is basic stuff a courtesy even. If I was the sponsor and saw this post it would not have encourage me to continue the sponsorship or encourage other sponsors for HE competitions. This is such basic stuff. Did I mention that already.
:spank:

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
The competition is sponsored by Leica

wl

There are two disto laser measuring devices up for grabs.  Each worth ?180.  Great prizes.

wl
wl

Have a go at entering - you never know your luck.  I've been invited as a judge!! (y)

andrew

Yes mentioning the  prizes, which would have lead to mentioning the sponsors would have been smarter, but you have drowned that out by the way do delivered the message.
In my defence, I was trying to keep the message short and get as many people to read it and hopefully enter, that is after all the aim. It also means the sponsors get a bigger profile if the salon is bigger. I'm no expert and as in most things caving I'm just a volunteer doing my best, this sort of thing is well outside my comfort zone and expertise; sponsors are on the link and  the Hidden Earth stuff.

Going back to the way the way the message was delivered,  saying you  are going to rant is no excuse for totally barbarian behaviour, very damaging for the reputation of cavers. A gentle prod would have been far more effective, and I might have then taken it on board for other things that I do. Now your second post would have been much more like it, your diplomacy skills have improved during the day (y). You delivered the message like a hormonal teenager, in a most uncivil manner, come on where are your manners, maybe a moderator should have stepped in to caution your attitude ;)
What is more, this is coming from a person who lots of the caving community, all over the country, whether they agree with your stance or not, think you are damaging relationships with none cavers. There are people that get the sponsorship that blame you for irreparable damage to the  relationship with some of the sponsors, maybe hence the anger. It would seem that diplomacy is not a strong point of yours.
I hope this thread will not turn into another poisonous slanging match, of which I want no (further) part.

I hope we can end it there, I have lots of faults, I am certainly rubbish with people, I believe people find me blunt as well, I don't mean to be. Publicity, I really am a total failure, I'm sure pages could be written on my many faults, but can we please correct each other in a kind and gentle way, even offering help!

Andrew

PS I hope you are still happy to be one of the judges of the survey salon

ZombieCake

'arf a Butcher - is there an award for a full Butcher?  Do you get 2 Disto's or a really long tape measure?
I'll get me coat - no offence intended, just couldn't resist the joke/ pun / irony....

JJ

"Please email me (address from link below) and let me know of anything that you think deserves an award, it does not necessarily  all have to have been done in the last year, the award can be for lifetime dedication or a long term project.

See http://bcra.org.uk/detail/awards.butcher.html for the previous awards"

I wish to consider nominating someone for the Butcher award. However I have searched and searched the link above and can not find the email address referred to. Thanks

andrew

It is at the end of the first paragraph of the second link.

https://hidden.earth/salons/survey-salon.php

But I guess it would be easier to put the direct link

https://hidden.earth/contact/index.php?id=10

Have I mentioned that I'm no good at this sort of thing