Just a Tiny Drone In A Cave ?

Kenilworth

What about a light source? For me, that has been the most complicated part of sending small drones up domes. I finally have a setup that works, but have to wait for dry weather to check the most promising leads.

Kenilworth

The Old Ruminator said:
Maybe a strong beam of light from below. At least you might get a closer look.

The shadows that creates make the drone view more or less identical to the floor view, in our experience.

Duncan Price

The problem with using a small drone in a cave* is that the cameras usual don't have any decent low-light capability**.  It is impractical for the vehicle to carry on board lighting so you have to result in lighting the cave from elsewhere and then you end up with the shadowing problem as Kenilworth said.  Something like a GoPro or knock-off is better and good results can be obtained by mounting these on a long pole with a light attached.

* not that I've ever flown a mini-quadcopter in a cave ;-)
** though converting the footage to B&W and then boosting the brightness & contrast can help.

2xw

I do like the long pole idea. I think folks are turning to drones too often for stuff that could be achieved with a long stick or two poles and a wire.

Regardless, I've flown my drone into the attic and it seemed okay in the low light. It's a nano drone (smaller than my palm). Maybe I'll definitely not test it in a cave at some point.

The Old Ruminator

I guess my opening statement might have been a little tongue in cheek. From what I see drones are proliferating and having one designed for selfies seemed a bit daft. Certainly there is move towards micro drones maybe to escape any forthcoming rules regarding certification. Maybe there is one ( or soon will be ) that has built in lighting although that might mean problems regarding battery drain. Reading scientific literature it seems camera development will be taking big steps in the future offering one pixel instead of many with 50MB images that can be focused and worked on a computer after exposure. Some may even literally to be able to see in the dark. We may yet see a safe and practical use for drones in a cave.

2xw

Maybe it doesn't need to use a camera. Just a disto taking loads of splays. Didn't a NASA team 3d map a cave with a drone this way? The drone was in a ball so it just bounce d off stuff

Kenilworth

2xw said:
I do like the long pole idea. I think folks are turning to drones too often for stuff that could be achieved with a long stick or two poles and a wire.

Regardless, I've flown my drone into the attic and it seemed okay in the low light. It's a nano drone (smaller than my palm). Maybe I'll definitely not test it in a cave at some point.

It's going to take an awfully long pole to see the domes I'm trying to look at. One 90' and two over 120' (the limit of the laser we had while mapping). I think of drones as a faster and less damaging alternative to bolt climbs, in other words, as a last resort.

The Old Ruminator

I wonder if a drone could carry a grapnel high up and drop it onto a rocky ledge. A thin line with a rope pull through somehow. Grapnels always work well in adventure films  :-\

Roger W

Apart from the weight of the line, the grapnel itself would have to be big and strong enough to bear the weight of a caver prussiking up...

I was thinking, would you be willing to hazard your life on a grapnel placed by a drone?  I suppose you could use another drone with a camera and light to check the placement...?

2xw

I suspect the Tactical Air Initiated Launch system is what you folks are after

http://www.guns.com/2010/12/01/us-navy-gets-a-new-piece-of-tail/