Sound Recording Devices

ZombieCake

What do people use for portable sound recording? Mine is quite simple in as much it's a Zoom H1 https://www.zoom-na.com/products/field-video-recording/field-recording/zoom-h1-handy-recorder attached to a hot shoe on the camera (typically a Leica D-lux 109 (or Panasonic LX100 as the innards are remarkably similar!) given the fast wide angle lens). There's no actual electronic connection - sound is recorded on one card in the Zoom and the video on the one in the camera.  Sound on the camera is pretty good, but can be a bit splashy and trebly, especially at rather high sound levels, the Zoom gives a bit of flexibility.  Just wondering what else people use out there, particularly for levalier mikes.
Cheers!

prahja

I use a Roland R-05 for field recording.... (usually mangle and sample for use in music production). Quite fun recording sounds in caves.... I have a few different mics as well (including contact mics etc)

ZombieCake

The Roland looks nice - don't suppose you use lavalier microphones?  Boundary mic I had was rubbish (lesson - don't buy cheap crap off eBay or Amazon).  I tend to turn lo cut and limiter off and record WAV at 44.1 / 24bit an aim for -12db (ish) peak.  More by accepted wisdom than anything else - are there better ways? Unfortunately drummers and shrieky singers have been also invented, so sometimes have to turn it down a bit more!

prahja

Yes - only got one lav. Use it for messing around with video. I very rarely use the limiter and low cut (occasionally for live music outdoors). Yeah, I use 44.1kHz / 24 bit for music (48kHz for video to avoid resampling if I can be bothered!). I?m pretty happy with the R-05 - does what I need. Nowadays, I?d probably get a Zoom as they are cheaper and people seem pretty happy with them....