Returning Caver looking for local club

damo8604

Hi All

I used to cave regularly but gave up after leaving the army and starting a family.

Maybe I'm in the middle of a mid-life crisis but I have been wanting to go back down holes recently so wondered if there were any southern based cavers or caving clubs I could join?

I'm based in Aldershot

Guess your closest area is the Mendips. Lots of clubs there. Lets see if there are any cavers in the Aldershot area that respond.

RB

Hi Damo,

Come and join the Westminster Spelelogical Group! See the website - www.wsg.org.uk

We're always keen to welcome new members of any ability, whether just starting, retired or returning. Whilst a lot of members are Londoners we've got just as many in the surrounding counties and certainly a few down your way.

We have a pub meet at the Ship & Shovell pub under the arches of Charing Cross Station on the 1st and 3rd tuesday of the month. Next one will be on the 15th Jan, you'll find us up stairs. So if you're Aldershot its a quick walk over the river from Waterloo Station.

We've got a couple of meets coming up at our cottage in South Wales in Jan and Feb. Drop me a line or email the address on the website and we'll send you a few contact numbers.

Cheers, Rupert

damo8604

Hi Nigel and RB

Thanks for the response, glad to see some cavers down this neck of the woods!

I have never caved in the Mendips, my stomping ground used to be the Yorkshire dales, at that time I was a lot fitter so vertical systems appealed to me a lot more. I haven't stepped into an SRT rig for 12 years but certain I'll pick it up again.

Nigel, the offer of a loan of kit is gratefully accepted, I got rid of my kit about 10 years ago as it was just gathering dust, I'm a bit gutted now as I had a lot of stuff and looking at the prices in inglesport, it'll cost a fair bit to replace! I'll PM you my number, maybe we could meet up for a pint and a chat?