Looks like its been there some time, didn't find a caver attached :wink:

D

davepinch

Did you manage to get any lights from it Johnny? :wink:

You could always stick it on ebay.. someone will buy it :LOL:

SamT

Thats simon brook's innit - Im sure I saw him wearing it just the other week

:wink: :LOL:

seriously though - there must be a story behind that that someone can tell. You dont go into a sump and just forget your helmet on the way out.

paul

SamT said:
Thats simon brook's innit - Im sure I saw him wearing it just the other week

:wink: :LOL:

No - it looks to be in much better condition than most of Simon's gear! (Although he seems to have sorted out his caving light nowadays with a 7-LED headset powered by AA cells in a tupperware box bought for a £1 in Ashbourne and mounted on the rear of his helmet...)

Pitlamp

It looks very 1980s. There was a period when folk were using that sort of elastic for holding lamps on (probably Aquaflashes). That type of chin strap attachment was first used by cave divers from about 1978. Modern cave diving in Peak (following a long period of no activity after Pearce & Brown's era) started in 1979 - so that's the very earliest it could be.

I remember Jerry Murland had a load of gear washed away from Far Sump when he was pushing it in the early 80s - maybe it's one of Jerry's that floated downstream and got jammed in the boulders under "Forward Halt 1" (as the oxygen divers called it) in Buxton Water Sump?

Steve Tucker used to have one that looked very similar to that as well (maybe his washed downstream from Ink Sump)? Paul - can you draw it to his attention?

Another possible candidate is Chris Rhodes. Clive Westlake sees him occasionally so you could get Clive to ask him?

paul

pitlamp said:
Steve Tucker used to have one that looked very similar to that as well (maybe his washed downstream from Ink Sump)? Paul - can you draw it to his attention?

Next time I see him I'll ask.

Pitlamp

Elementary my dear Watson - I've got a picture of him caving in it circa 1980. I reckon if you drop it off at the Orpheus hut he could be re-united with it soon after!

Johnny

pitlamp said:
Elementary my dear Watson - I've got a picture of him caving in it circa 1980. I reckon if you drop it off at the Orpheus hut he could be re-united with it soon after!

I shall do just that, wouldnt mind giving him it in person and having a chat about Ink Sump, If your listening Steve, I will buy the beer.

TimN

I did a lot of diving with Steve Tucker and recon its his helmet.Just been on the phone to Steve and he says he had some gear washed away in a flood from ink sump.
I also have some photos of the helmet in action in the Aude Gorge circa 1979!
Johnny, I dived ink sump a few times with Steve and climbed the aven to the choke at the top,if you need any info I may be able to help.
Good to know the posseidon is getting back into Ink again.!!

Steve_T

Well, well :shock:
It may well be my helmet, though not 100% certain from the photo.
More recently than Ink I was diving Bagshawe Upstream sumps and cant remember whether I used this helmet or a newer model. I will check out my gear at home this weekend and see what I can find.

It is true that I lost some gear during a flood in Ink sump having left it in readiness for a dive, not sure if my helmet was lost though.

I can however confirm though that the knicker elastic used to hold the aquaflashes and q ltes of the time belonged to Sally Farr. :wink:

Oh and Johnny....... I wil make sre I am thirsty when we meet! :LOL:

SamT

Steve_T said:
I can however confirm though that the knicker elastic used to hold the aquaflashes and q ltes of the time belonged to Sally Farr. :wink:

Oi Oi :LOL:

John - can I come if your buying the beer. :wink:

Johnny

Steve_T said:
Oh and Johnny....... I wil make sre I am thirsty when we meet! :LOL:

I will make sure that my wallet is full :wink:

Do you or TimN remember the loud rumbling between the eye-hole and the first airbell when swimming back downstream?

Steve_T

Do you or TimN remember the loud rumbling between the eye-hole and the first airbell when swimming back downstream?

Only my stomach :wink:

Seriously though, no I don't Johnny.

Johnny

Yeah, It seems that exhaust air gets funneled through one part of the roof and it makes a right din!
Fair put the willies up me when I first heard it, got used to it now though.
There was no flow to speak of on Sunday so conditions got a bit murky, looks like the next job is to lay a nice new line through and then we can start giving that choke some hammer.

Johnny

Yes, Jim pulled it out, but he would not have seen much, we had been transporting scaff through to the far side and had done about five trips so the vis was not up to much!

He was actually looking for a scaff pole that I had threaded into the choke thinking, in the zero vis, that I was posting it through the slot that is the exit to the choke.

We never did find that pole. :roll:

Steve_T

Re. Ink sump, how do you intend dealing with the boulders from the choke above Doom's Retreat? I had heard somebody talking about using gabions?

Steve_T

Well, via a long roundabout route I finally picked up my helmet which had been dropped off at work for me.
Thanks to those involved in re-uniting me with my old trust helm.
It would have a place on the mantle piece if it wasnt so ugly!