Dent de Crolles System Online Survey

langcliffe

As I am unable to go on my annual pilgrimage to the Dent de Crolles system this month, I have added a deep zoom-style online survey of the system to my website to make virtual caving a little easier. This is Gilbert Bohec's 2007 compilation survey, and as such doesn't include recent explorations including entrances Gouffre de la Pulpite Irr?versible? and Gouffre Bob Vouay.

I hope that people will find it useful in the future.

https://www.braemoor.co.uk/crolles/survey.shtml

ChrisJC

I doubt if I will ever find it useful. But I am mightily impressed! It looks like an amazing cave system.

Chris.

langcliffe

Pitlamp said:
Looks a bit different from in Pierre Chevalier's day!

17 km when Chevalier achieved his goals - now almost 60 km. One of the things that attracts me to the place (apart from being a beautiful cave in a beautiful hill in a beautiful area) is that the story of its exploration has reflected the changes in exploration techniques over the 120 years since Martel first visited it.

Subpopulus Hibernia

Cheers Langcliffe, I happen to be reading Subterranean Climbers at the moment - trying to pick out the bits Chevalier explored in the 40's from that plate of spaghetti is quite a challenge

ZombieCake

The survey brings back memories.  Back in the day when a belt mounted carbide generator was cutting edge technology we did a through trip from Trou de Glaz to Guiers Mort.
We spent a few days rigging / exploring from each end. The night before the first group did the through trip (of which I was one) it was a bit rainy to say the least (even worse than a Mendip summer). Still the next morning the water seemed to have settled and no sign of flood pulses.
So off we went.  All was fine, if a little tiring, as we were really bombing it, until soooo close the exit.  I was in front and I put my foot in some of the clearest water you've ever seen (well, I didn't see it, was that clear).  What was the walking way out was now under lots of water.  (I'm guessing it's the oval black blob on the survey on the right at the back the Guiers Mort part.)  Previously this was open passage, and an easy stroll out.  No way was it in any way free diveable - too long, deep, and cold and in furry suits.  A bit too drowny for our liking.  So we decided to wait for a while and get the bivvy bags out and sit and see if the water would drop, especially as everyone was a bit knackered and a bit chilly.  By that time nature indicated that a pee was needed.  Of course, there's no way you'd go anywhere near the underwater way out as that's just filling the sump up even more.  A pebble was put at water level to check for any changes and after a long while (hour or two...) there was no change.
So the other options considered were: a) wait and get hauled out by the French (lovely as they are) - Non. b) Go all the way back up to the Trou de Glaz  - Non. c) One of the group recalled a bypass - Oui.
So we scrabbled about a bit, found a draught, and abseiled down the side of the Guiers Mort (I guess it's the 8m pitch marked on the survey). Ran down the mountain to the waiting minibus (adrenalin is a good thing), ate Mars bars or similar, and found a large bottle of whiskey, which was nice.
Moral of the story, take the safety gear just in case.

langcliffe

ZombieCake said:
I was in front and I put my foot in some of the clearest water you've ever seen (well, I didn't see it, was that clear).  What was the walking way out was now under lots of water.  (I'm guessing it's the oval black blob on the survey on the right at the back the Guiers Mort part.)  Previously this was open passage, and an easy stroll out.  No way was it in any way free diveable - too long, deep, and cold and in furry suits. 

The walking route is sumped more often than not, but it must have been a shock to find it like that after a long trip when you knew it was the way out! I have had a number of trips over the past 45 years, but only once been able to walk through as you did during your reconnaissance trips.

It was always sumped on Chevalier's trips, and the reason why the chamber with the 8m pitch is called Salle d'Escalade is that he originally climbed the pitch to discover the overhead route through the labyrinth. The Salle d'Escalade has the most amazing fault slickenside I have ever seen. In this photo taken by the late, great  Dave Checkley, the wall by my yellow helmet is as smooth as glass.

salleescalade.jpg

mrodoc

When we did the trip we thought we were going to have to do the sump bypass at the end so it was a pleasant surprise to walk out of the cave.  As the route finder I was very chuffed I knew about the two routes (all from reading the book).

GoneCaving

I did a number of the trips in the system back in 2001. We colour-coded the survey to reflect the different levels, which helped with navigating the survey. I wonder if I'd fit down the pitch below P40 these days?

langcliffe

Giles Bohec has kindly made available his 2020 version of the cross-section for the Dent de Crolles system which includes all the latest entrances. Some of the through trips have been colour-coded.

I have implemented a deep zoom-style presentation on the web, and it is available for downloading on the same page:

https://www.braemoor.co.uk/crolles/surveyxsection.shtml

I must commend Giles for being so ready to share the results of his hard work.

Ian P

Administrator
Staff member
The website is an incredible resource, simple to use and very professionally set out.

This extra just adds to the wealth of information already there.

I have printed out sufficient info for a caving trip there in a couple of weeks.

Thank you.
:clap: :clap:

Fjell

What is the situation there? We were originally thinking of going to the region this month. I assumed it was a bust for this year.

Ian P

Administrator
Staff member
Fjell said:
What is the situation there? We were originally thinking of going to the region this month. I assumed it was a bust for this year.

We are going based on the change of FCO status and various positive FB posts from campsites etc.
However we are going to France touring for 6 weeks in the Motorhome and plan to be flexible as any situation requires.

langcliffe

Fjell said:

I get a monthly newsletter from the commune, and it is all opening up with the appropriate precautions. They have even opened up the outdoor swimming pool. See here for the full story:

https://www.saintpierredechartreuse.fr/journal-municipal-la-lettre

The local campsite (Camping de Martini?re) is opened subject to French Government Covid-19 protocols:

http://camping-de-martiniere.com/en/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/US-Protocole-sanitaire-covid-19.pdf

langcliffe

langcliffe said:
Giles Bohec has kindly made available his 2020 version of the cross-section for the Dent de Crolles system which includes all the latest entrances. Some of the through trips have been colour-coded.

I have implemented a deep zoom-style presentation on the web, and it is available for downloading on the same page:

I must commend Giles for being so ready to share the results of his hard work.

Gilbert has sent me another copy with three more through-trips high-lighted in colour.  Note the Gouffre de la Pulpite Irr?versible to Trou du Glaz route, which includes a 145 metre shaft (Puits du Lac), which is used for commercial caving!

TMan

Did a through trip few years ago from P40 to Guiers Mort on the historical route - fantastic trip!