500 km long lava tube cave found

pwhole

This is one of the no-brainer solutions that NASA could have begun developing by the 1980s, had Ronald Reagan not diverted vast finances from moon development and exploration, and put them into the biggest waste of commercial money of all time - the 'Star Wars' laser-weapons project. Which everyone's taking about nowadays. I was six at the time of the first moon-landing, and not unreasonably assumed that by now, I'd be up there! Anyway, that grumble aside, it's a welcome step forward, and the quicker the better. There's a whole sea of titanium ore up there, just waiting to be dug...

Length now revised down to 50km...

The actual Research Letter is entitled "Detection of intact lava tubes at Marius Hills on the Moon by SELENE (Kaguya) Lunar Radar Sounder" in Geophysical Research Letters [ http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2017GL074998/full ].

Getting back down to Earth, does anyone know of references to radar and gravity readings identifying terrestrial cave locations?

Graigwen

Martin Laverty said:
Length now revised down to 50km...

Getting back down to Earth, does anyone know of references to radar and gravity readings identifying terrestrial cave locations?

I hope Martin means detection of lave tube caves (I would be interested in this), otherwise the discussion should be in another forum and is likely to be much longer and more contentious.

Alex

Ahh bugger sorry I have duplicated this though reduced the distance by 450km. I had not spotted this as it was in rest of the world and was 500km not 50.