Smoking in caves/mines - opinions?

thehungrytroglobite

Experienced a significant amount of cigarette smoke trapped in a passage in Coniston mines the other day (one of the bits with less ventilation), and it was vile. I'm an ex smoker myself but still felt like I was suffocating in it. I know some cavers used to smoke in caves but didn't think many people did any more.

Interested to hear other people's opinions on smoking in caves?

tomferry

I had  smoked in mines for many years and a few caves have to admit we always went away from the main passage and tried to be the best behave we could with it , I quit 2 weeks ago though  :D

PeteHall

I dig with a smoker and so long as he's 1m away (in the right direction), I can't smell a thing  (y)

Elsewhere, I have known a smoker need to use his diving reg to get enough oxygen into the air to get the lighter to go; possibly not the best spot to stop for a smoke...

ChrisJC

I don't smoke, and I quite like the smell of tobacco smoke.
So I don't mind.

As long as the smoker takes their litter out with them, I'm not really worried.

Chris.

Cavematt

I cave and dig with a few smokers. It doesn't really bother me too much, but then I grew up around a lot of cigarette smoke so am used to it and the smell doesn't offend me unless its blowing directly into my face. It certainly bothers me a lot less than an irritable caver with withdrawal symptoms!

Anyway, when digging, so many times a smoker has been called down the hole to light up and establish whether there is a draught.  ;)

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Nooooooooooooooooooo!

I was horrified the first time I went caving with smokers and they lit up underground, I couldn't believe it  :eek:  Hated they way the cave smelt of old fag smoke on the way back out.

Fortunately Badlad gave up years ago  ;)

Mr Mike

When I started going down mines, my friends dad would take us underground in the Peak District. He smoked a pipe and that was a nice smell. Can't remember the last time I was underground with someone who sparked up a cig. 

Paul Marvin

Mr Mike said:
When I started going down mines, my friends dad would take us underground in the Peak District. He smoked a pipe and that was a nice smell. Can't remember the last time I was underground with someone who sparked up a cig. 

You still see plenty of butt ends , but having said that they could be well old

mrodoc

it is a right pain in the backside if you want to take photos as it creates a smog. That is unless you are trying to get a Ridley Scott effect. The only image I can remember of mine being improved was one of Ken Passant ascending to the Landing in Swildons. Not keen generally on fags in caves - or general. But then I'm a doctor!

Brains

I am an ex Smoker, and have done so underground. I now regret this, and would advise strongly against it for many reasons

Mark Wright

Pegasus said:
Nooooooooooooooooooo!

I was horrified the first time I went caving with smokers and they lit up underground, I couldn't believe it  :eek:  Hated they way the cave smelt of old fag smoke on the way back out.

There?s every likelihood Pegasus is talking about me. Sorry.

When I joined the TSG in 1980 you could count the number of club members who didn?t smoke in a cave on one hand.

I gave up smoking real cigarettes about 5 years ago and now smoke an electronic cigarette. It goes with me on every single trip and I don?t see that changing any time soon.

I?ve never had any complaints and am regularly called upon to check the draught in our digs.

Mark

badger

totally unacceptable in an enclosed space. I cant comprehend why anyone in todays world would find this acceptable underground or in an enclosed space, the smell to some people (like me) is quite revolting.

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Mark Wright said:
Pegasus said:
Nooooooooooooooooooo!

There?s every likelihood Pegasus is talking about me. Sorry.

It was the whole blummin lot of you  :LOL:  The Uni club I caved with didn't smoke underground, nor any other cavers I went with after Uni - then I met the NCC...... :eek:

thehungrytroglobite

badger said:
totally unacceptable in an enclosed space. I cant comprehend why anyone in todays world would find this acceptable underground or in an enclosed space, the smell to some people (like me) is quite revolting.

agree. myself and another member of my group were coughing quite severely when the smoke got super dense

David Rose

Back in the day, some of us used to smoke on long, deep trips in the Picos, partly to keep awake. I don't think it was a great idea, now.