Croesor Rhosydd Mine Trip

Smithers

I was just wondering if anyone on the forums had done the Croesor Rhosydd through trip in Wales? 

I'm planning to do it with a couple of friends and we're trying to get as much advice from other as possible as well as an idea of all the non-standard equipment we're likely to need.

At the moment we've worked out that we'll need a couple of life jackets, an inflatable dingy, a couple of tractor inner tubes, about 50 m of 3 mm for retrieving said dingy and inner tubes and a couple of 2 way radios for communicating across the underground lakes.

We've read a couple of trip reports, but it would be good to get in contact with someone who has actually done it!

Smithers

Lol, cheers for that.  Tubby Two is actually one of the guys I'm going with!  I know he's been banging on about it for ages, but I didn't realise he'd posted anything on here about it.

Ta

Hatstand

I understand it has changed substantially since I did it, apart from the change in route there's substantially more properly rigged.

I really ought to go back sometime...

...pray what are the inner tubes for?? If you're taking a boat......

H

Smithers

The tractor inner tubes are really just there as a back up in case the boat gets a puncture.  Although it maybe that the boat gets used for carrying tackle sacks and that we sit in the rings, hence the need for life jackets in case we slip through the middle!

Basically we're just trying to make sure we're totally prepared for almost every eventuality, don't think the Welsh authorities would be too pleased if they had to rescue 3 northerners and a southerner from an abandoned mine!

SamT

Hi

There is a long write up up of our trip somewhere on these ere forums by bubba. Also several threads. I've got loads of info at home. I can forward on.

I'll post later on this (or tommorrow).

D

darkplaces

Croesor-Rhosydd is getting busy!

A number of www.c**tplaces.co.uk members have done the trip and writeups and pictures exist. I cant post the urls here as they are only visable to registered members. http://www.aditnow.co.uk/ and some really good writeups here http://www.mine-explorer.co.uk/

SamT

Ah - looks like Tubby Two has most of the stuff I have.

Not so sure you need radios - you can shout accross the lakes, Theres no roaring streams to shout over - just an eerie silence.

You'd get away with just the tractor tyres if you can stand getting wet. Life Jackets / bouyency aids would be a sensible precaution.

A pully for the wire tyroleans would be good (preferably a twin wheel pully)

We took spare rope and a bolting kit, for re-rigging things.

Familiarity with the way back from the exit would be a good thing  :-[

bubba

Administrator
The hardest bit of navigation was definitely getting back from the exit to the car in the extremely thick cloud/mist. Luckily Sam took along a small compass.

From looking at those links Darkplaces posted it looks like some more zip-wires have been put in so a pully would definitely be useful.

Hatstand

bubba said:
The hardest bit of navigation was definitely getting back from the exit to the car in the extremely thick cloud/mist. Luckily Sam took along a small compass.

I concur! The walk over the top is really quite tricky in the dark when you're tired. A better plan is to leave a car in the Cwmorthin car park and then you can just yomp down the motorway from 9 adit to the car park. Much better  :clap:

D

darkplaces

Beware, local scrote scumbags break into cars left at Cwmorthin car park. Dont leave anything visable, just a coat was nicked after windows were broken. Its a longer walk but further down is safer. Maybe with a 'safety person' waiting to make sure you get out ok they can be called to drive up and meet?

Hatstand

True - Cwmorthin car park has always had a very bad rep for stuff getting nicked - although I must admit that in 15 years I have never had a probem - so long as you follow all the obvious stuff about not having anything on show... ...the other alternative is to park lower down the hill in the village - the FR station is quite handy also.

Good plan getting the lift though - if they have a 4x4* they can drop you at the Croesor Adit when you start  :clap: Unless the farmer is having a sulk and blocked the track with feeders again.

*not absolutely necessary - we've gotten an Astra van and a Citroen BX up there before now.

I really must go back and have another look at the trip though - when we did it the wobbly bridge of doom had no proper lines to clip onto - all those left there were (1) tied to the bridge [didn't fancy being tied to THAT!] or (2) worn through the outer or similar. I understand there is a sexy fixed line bolted to the ceiling now.

Also last time we did it you could still worm through from the second pitch to the first bridge. The first steel zip line was installed over the traverse chamber and rigging had commenced on one over the wobbly bridge of doom.

I'm not sure I like the zip lines. They're dead handy for speedy access if you want to explore further into the mine (although from the map its fairy plain there isn't a great deal you don't see on this trip) but otherwise they kinda spoil half the fun  :LOL: They'll also wreck your pulley if it has an alloy wheelie thing  :cautious:

We could also start a new thread about how long steel zip lines last underground...  :clap:

Has anyone re-rigged the second pitch better to get rid of that awful take off and abrasion point? (used to be protected by some pre-formed pipe lagging)

I hope no-one has thought to put static rope on the third pitch though - I always thought abbing into a boat on the end of a not quite long enough dynamic rope was half the fun!  :D :clap:

SamT

Bubs - if you can find the orig digi tape - it would be good to get the video of us up on YouTube. Ive got it on VHS but it would be easier if we could get the orig digital tape.

underground

SamT said:
Bubs - if you can find the orig digi tape - it would be good to get the video of us up on YouTube. Ive got it on VHS but it would be easier if we could get the orig digital tape.

Indeed Sam- as it would the video of the exploration of Taylor's way in Baggers. ... c'mon bubbs, you must be able to find it somewhere?!!!!

SamT

Nah its not - its quite funny - and actually much better lit than a lot of amature underground film.

Certainly good enough for YouTube anyhow.

T

tubby two

Soon. Plan is 11th november, followed by some cragging at tremadog on sunday. Gonna stay in erics barn unless anyone knows anywhere better with as good a breccy spot as the cafe is as close by? i'm looking forward to the breccy already.

tt.