Masks

Johnny

I would like to purchase a mask for cave diving, nothing too serious, just a bit of short sump bashing, any advice?

M

Mike W

There's a huge selection of masks available nowadays - I'd go for the most compact ( avoid panoramic masks ). Make sure it's well clear of your helmet, as you don't want a bump on the head to dislodge your mask. Try on as many as you can, and go for comfort and a good seal ( hold the mask to your face by fingertips, without the strap on, suck in gently through the nose, and see if the mask sticks to your face ). Faces vary a lot, so keep trying different shaped masks until you get a good seal.

Best source is probably your nearest big divers' shop, and don't be frightened by the prices ! Some of my favourite masks have been cheap ones.

Pitlamp

. . . but on the other hand don't balk at paying a lot if the most expensive one is the only one that fits really well. In a way it's like running shoes; you're buying a piece of equipment here which is fundamental to your long term enjoyment of the sport. Don't skimp if you would end up with something not really good enough.

And get involved with the CDG if you're cave diving, no mastter at what level. You'll be in touch with lots of people who can give you advice - and more experienced people may well learn from your own ideas. The Derbyshire Section is extremely friendly and has many accomplished members. Good luck.

Johnny

Cheers guys, I get the idea, the main criteria is 'fit' and I should go and try some on. This figures as I have borrowed three masks, one fitted well and gave me a lot of confidence and I couldn't seem to get a good fit with another whilst the third, a soft silicone jobby fitted well but did not seem too robust.
I have caved with a member of the CDG just recently and I have been impressed with his offers of help, offers that I intend to take up.

Cave_Troll

Caver...

Open water diver...

Enjoy holding my breath in UK sumps..

musn't... join.. CDG... please... stop... me...

Pitlamp

Johnny - best of luck with the cave diving; proceed with caution, dive intelligently (always questioning the advice of "experts"), make progress slowly and you will eventually surprise yourself how competently and confidently you will tackle more demanding cave dives. But don't rush anything - none of us is immortal.

Johnny

Cheers Pitlamp, will do, I can tell that a broad depth of experience shines through those words.