Level Fawr, Cwmystwyth Lead Mine - Large Collapse!

M

Mine Explorer

During the WBCRT rescue practice held last Saturday we learnt from members of Aber. Caving Club that there had been a significant fall in Level Fawr (not part of the rescue practice this time).

Yesterday a group from SCMC went to have a look at the current situation. For those that know the mine the collapse is at the end of the impressive timbered roof. Going inby from the main adit it is no longer possible to turn left and head towards the skip-way down :shock:.

A small hole is still present that goes straight on to the mine truck - but you must have a death wish (as defined by a mine explorer! :) ) to go through.

It is still possible to get to the other side of the collapse by following the compressor pipes up, going through the upper workings and either descending the wooden ladders, or walking the plank and coming out of the ore hopper.

Not much of the timbering has collapsed, but quite a lot of rock has dropped down.

Warning, website plug! A photograph of how it used to look is on my website: http://www.sbury8.freeserve.co.uk - Follow the links to Mines > Wales > Cwmystwyth. The area that has collapsed is at the opposite end of the passage from where the camera is positioned.

I understand the Shropshire Caving & Mining Club website SCMC Website is being updated today to include the fall, complete with some photos taken yesterday. I, in the mean time, will need to return yet again for another photographic trip!

Tatty Bye.
Mine X.

PS: SCMC report with photos is here

Rhys

Blimey!

Thanks for putting the pictures up - very useful. It certainly makes you think!! I walked under that timbering countless times on the previous practice and recce trip!

Rhys

M

Mine Explorer

SamT said:
nice photos - very sharp.

Cheers, thanks for that.

It's hard work carting the camera equipment around, and then I find I'm the worlds worst critic of my own photos, so don't always appreciate the end result!

SamT said:
Old mines are horrifying sometimes arnt they :shock:

It must have looked impresive to see the corner collapse, although I think personaly I'd have been far too busy legging it in the opposite direction with a slightly discoloured undersuit to fully appreciate the spectacle.

Hey Ho, anyone else fancy a mining trip?? :LOL:

I can't guarentee the roof won't collapse,
can't guarentee the floor won't collapse,
can't guarentee you won't run out of oxygen,
and you might have ochre stained (Tango Man) skin for the next month,

But you don't always have to look on the negative side :wink:

There's often interesting things to see, and it's rare to get hit by a flood pulse - even the "Indiana-Jones" moments are (usually) few-and-far between.