ASSYNT action

cavermark

Norman, myself and a keen cyclist are going up on the 19th Oct for a week at the GSG hut. Plans to dig Rana and other sites, hillwalk and climb. returning via the GSG dinner on Skye. Lifts available and guests welcome if anyone wants to explore/revisit this superb area..... (y)

A

Agrophobic

See you in the bar after the dinner  :beer: i'm not gsg but will pop in to say hello as i know a few who are and  i'm only 7 miles up the road. might apply to join, not sure yet.

Bob Smith

caverns measureless to man, possibly dropped into the top of bell aven (i think) 50 m opem passage plus large open chamber. all these details were told to me in the pub but i think i remembered correctly

cavermark

Chinese whispers! (or is it Gaelic mutterings)
Yes, after a productive week where the flooding issue was resolved, and the engineering tweaked, a big team hauled plenty of spoil out to make sufficient progress for a breakthru..but not into Belh Aven yet (but very close). There's some walking size chambers and good pretties..fuller report in Descent soon. The digging team have some surveying and conservation work to do so please go through them if you want access. There's still plenty of enlargement needed so be prepared to volunteer a days work on the winch if you can too.
(Check out the GSG members website Pete.)
I looked at 3-G's too - it has washed out a bit more and clearly acts as an overflow for the main sink (It went from dry to wet while i was there!) Would be interesting to see how much it backs up.
Waiting to see the ANUS survey in relation to stream bed before reinvestigating sphincter area(!!) :beer:

mrodoc

Congrats on Rana - have seen the pics. Gives good reason to keep going back to Sutherland! 3 G's looks encouraging - Philippa is a bit disappointed that she is going to be in India for our annual visit.
Watch out for the roof in the sphincter dig - I can't remember whether it was you there when the large slab dropped out just as I vacated the dig last year! I think there should be some separation from the waterfall but I did wonder after doing the dig if the trickle was related to water sinking at the base of the waterfall as there was some water going over it last year although not a lot.  However I still think it is worth attempting to get to the top of the slope.

A

Agrophobic

Well done in Rana guys!
I keep hearing references to the sphincter. is this the access to farr series off breakdown cavern?