Unable to Update Wiki

susie

I have, for the past week or so, been unable to update the Wiki - all edits being rejected with the message:

"Sorry! We could not process your edit due to a loss of session data. Please try again. If it still does not work, try logging out and logging back in. "

I have done as recommended, but to no avail.

Has anyone else had difficulty?

dunc

Not used Wiki for a while (been busy with other things) - just tried editing sandbox/scribble page and received the same error...

khakipuce

I just tried an edit and it worked. Make sure that your browser has cookies turned on for this site (although that fact that you can post here seems to inicate that they are). That said loss of session data (assuming the error message is a real indication of the problem) would seem to indicate some cookie related problem.

Have you tried a different web browser?

For background, the way web applications know you are logged in is by setting a cookie (which is a piece of data held by the browser). Each time you request a page from the site the browser sends the cookie back to the server. The server checks the cookie is valid. A valid cookie means you are logged in an able to edit/post etc.

dunc

Tried using IE8 & FF3.6 - doesn't work on either (that being I'm logged in and can edit / preview the page, the error crops up when you try to save the page.)

Rhys

Rhys said:
No problem for me.

I just tried another edit and got the error message. It suggests logging out, but I'm unable to do that either.

Bubba. Could you have a look please?

Rhys

bubba

Administrator
I've just had a look at this and it would appear something is wrong with the wiki/smf bridge.

I'll have to have a good look over the weekend as I have work shortly.

It is odd that it's started happening out of the blue.

The wiki should use the forum to hold sessions so if you can log in/out of the forum ok then the wiki *should* be the same, however this isn't happening.

bubba

Administrator
I've been looking into it but can't yet find a solution. I've tried the actions recommended by mediawiki themselves but it hasn't helped  :-\

bubba

Administrator
Ok, after much pain spent going round in circles I think I have a solution.

- Try to edit a page, e.g. http://ukcaving.com/wiki/index.php/Scribble
- If you still get the "Sorry!...." session data message then go to the url in your address bar and add the "www." prefix to the url, e.g. http://www.ukcaving.com/wiki/index.php/Scribble
- Now try to edit again and save

For me, this allowed me to save, and now even if I don't use the www. prefix it still allows me to save.

Goydenman

I did not do anything at all but it let me update - so you must have done something  :confused: even if you don't know what you have done thanks.

Rhys

I can't seem to upload an image. I get:

"Internal error
The upload directory (public) is not writable by the webserver."

Rhys

Still getting various error messages:

"Warning: mkdir() [function.mkdir]: Permission denied in /var/www/caving/wiki/includes/GlobalFunctions.php on line 2012"

"Internal error
Could not create directory "public/b/bf". "

bubba

Administrator
Really sorry Rhys, missed your message from last week.

I think this is fixed now, I've just uploaded and deleted an image to test it.