How much sense of adventure do you have?

Basically a sense of adventure is about pushing your self out of your confort zone, either for a par

• I go caving just to challange my self. Always has to be Hardest, deepest, longest.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Alex

Prompted by something said in the Yorkshire section. I do not want to criticise anyone on why they go caving as long as they don't criticise me or others.

Andrew W

I would take issue with the first option in your poll. What is challenging to one person can be a doddle for others depending on a number of factors including general fitness.

I like to challenge myself but what I find challenging would most likely not be challenging for a lot of other people. To challenge yourself it is not necessary to do the hardest, deepest etc cave but simply one that pushes your own individual abilities.

For the record I have the utmost respect for those cavers who explore the hardest caves in the country but I don't think it is necessary to start with these to challenge yourself. With regards to the other thread it strikes me that there is nothing wrong with aspiring to tackle the hardest caves but to do that without adequately building up to it, understanding the risks involved and developing the techniques to deal with the sorts of problems likely encountered would be a fools errand.

Personally I go caving for a variety of reasons. I enjoy the things I see and the challenging nature of the sport. Mostly I like the fact that most non-cavers think it is stupid and wouldn't do it themselves.

Fulk

Perhaps following on from Andrew W's comments, well sometimes I feel like a challenge, sometimes I feel like having an easy trip ? say, taking snaps in Notts II. The problem with the poll, as I see it, is that the categories are not mutually exclusive, but one might go underground for different reasons on different occasions, so I can't tick any one single box.

Amy

I think anyone who caves has some sense of adventure! I do it because it's a LOT OF FUN!!!

I like easy trips (and in TAG we have those...nice big strolling borehole not much harder than hiking its just in the dark!) so long as they aren't boring (I like pretty things...and taking photos of them). And I like hard trips too. Probably most challenging was 25 hrs underground, overnight trip, we camped out underground. Super cool and fun and very pretty cave, but not easy! LOTS of climbing and crawling and traversing and ladder work.

Rachel

I agree with the others who said they go caving for different reasons on different days.

Sometimes it's for challenge, sometimes it's a cave chosen because I only have a couple of hours, sometimes it's because I want to show someone my favourite cave, sometimes it's a cave I don't really want to do at all but I think I should take my turn at leading a club trip, sometimes it's because it's the one on the meets list so I can just turn up and not have to think about it ..... the possibilities are endless!

dunc

I chose "I don't go caving, it's too dark!" - just because somebody had gone to the trouble of adding the option and nobody else had selected it  :LOL:

On a more serious note, I would say I'm like various above; I do it because I like it, whether it's for fun, an easy day, a challenge, a bit of misery, an explore or to just take in the sights!! So can't really tick one box as no option fits for me.

And to answer the question "do I have a sense of adventure", based on the explanation of it above, yes (but not all the time, as I said above).

Alex

Maybe its not as simple as I thought  :doubt:

I did not tick the top option out of interest. Maybe I should have put:

Tick the one that most applies to you.

damian

I agree with Dunc. I cave because I enjoy it. Although I am rarely on a trip where I am challenging myself, I still enjoy caving. There's no way any of the choices in the poll suit me, so I can't answer it.