J. G. Clarke

langcliffe

Can some kind soul let me know the full name of J.G. Clarke who was caving with the Midland Group of the BSA from the war years to the 1960s (at least)? Thank you.

Mark

First name John, didn't know his middle name though, he was our accountant for quite a few years

mikem

Doesn't help with forenames, but he's mentioned here:
https://tsgcaving.co.uk/content/history

langcliffe

mikem said:
Doesn't help with forenames, but he's mentioned here:
https://tsgcaving.co.uk/content/history

And in a lot of other places. And they didn't give his full name either.

Mark

He gave me an album of photographs from the early days I will scan them and post them here at some point

langcliffe

Mark said:
He gave me an album of photographs from the early days I will scan them and post them here at some point

Adrian Clarke, whom I assume is his son, gave the BCA Library a couple of albums which we are in the process of processing. It's all a bit embryonic at the moment, and a lot of the mundane ones will be culled in the fullness of time.

https://archives.bcra.org.uk/clarke.html

Mark

There are copies of some of those photos in the album I have too
Gilly? in photo 44 of your album is Gilly Baldock, for the record

AR

I wonder if no. 33 is Bernard Chandler? Spires would be able to confirm that.

pwhole

Interesting that 'Burton Mine' in Derbyshire is shown again, as there's some Eli Simpson photos of the same place. It's on Dirtlow Rake, presumably up near Hollandtwine, but none of historians I've asked know it by that name. I suspect it may be Prince or Nall Grove, but whichever it is it's either grilled or filled now.

Some great photos though - I love the one in Eldon Hole with just the ladder dangling in the rift. That's art, that is ;)

langcliffe

pwhole said:
Interesting that 'Burton Mine' in Derbyshire is shown again, as there's some Eli Simpson photos of the same place. It's on Dirtlow Rake, presumably up near Hollandtwine, but none of historians I've asked know it by that name. I suspect it may be Prince or Nall Grove, but whichever it is it's either grilled or filled now.

Thanks for that, pwhole.

pwhole

To be honest, I don't recognise the spot - it can't be up in the high-level section as it hadn't been climbed at that point. I'm not sure what state the shaft in the floor of the main chamber was but I doubt there would have been room to get the shot from that far back - unless it was much more of a rift then and was filled in more later - dunno. If it's the entrance shaft it must be tucked into a tight corner not used much - but it looks underground from the lighting. Maybe an overnight trip!

langcliffe

pwhole said:
To be honest, I don't recognise the spot - it can't be up in the high-level section as it hadn't been climbed at that point. I'm not sure what state the shaft in the floor of the main chamber was but I doubt there would have been room to get the shot from that far back - unless it was much more of a rift then and was filled in more later - dunno. If it's the entrance shaft it must be tucked into a tight corner not used much - but it looks underground from the lighting. Maybe an overnight trip!

Thanks - I assumed that it was tucked away in the entrance shaft somewhere, but I have never been south of Skipton... I don't really trust some of the captions.