Cave Search

IanAlexander

Hi,

I am as wondering if you could help me. When I was young, my father used to take me on many walks around the Peak District. A few times we went on a walk where we would pass a cave, very close to the foot path that had a large (to a child) cave opening. Just inside the cave on the right was a small tunnel that a child could squeeze through probably about 30 ft long that led to a second smaller exit to the cave. It seemed to be a popular spot with many groups of children playing there on a summer's day. I have scoured the lists of Peak District caves and I can't find one that matches this description.

With your experience of caving in the Peaks, might you have any idea where this cave might be?

Many thanks,

mikem

If you have an idea of general area (location shows everything within 2km):
https://registry.thedca.org.uk/registrysearch.php

Andy Farrant

Sounds like Frank 'ith Rocks Cave in the upper part of Dove Dale, south of Hartington. A 'large' cave entrance is easily visible from the main footpath, which opens into a 'chamber' with a passage on the right which gets smaller and winds round a few bends to a smaller entrance to the south... Its easily accessible from the path so a popular tourist site.
https://registry.thedca.org.uk/registry/sitedetails.php?id=440

IanAlexander

Andy Farrant, yes! I'm pretty sure that's it. My Dad said maybe Dovedale, but when I looked I couldn't find this one. You've ended a 3-4 year search! Thanks.

Andy Farrant

We explored it some years ago when my son was small - he disappeared down the side passage out of sight and I could hear him struggle, then the noises stopped. This was somewhat disconcerting as I am 6'4" and don't easily fit round tight bends to pull him out. He them reappeared behind me having popped out the second entrance unbeknownst to me! Phew.. :)

Barny

I thought immediately of the one on Windy ledge at Stoney. My lads used to enjoy it when they were tiny. A quick traverse of Tiger Trot and you could pick them up the other side of the buttress when they popped out. Struggling to remember the name though.

martinb

Deffo Frank i'th' Rocks cave.

Without even looking at the replies, this was the first location that I thought of. Close to the bridge, not far from Hartington.

There is another entrance further round to the right, thrash through the nettles and a clamber up, IIRC its a high level passage into the main chamber.

Madness

If you decide to explore the cave, just watch out for the sh*t. It's sometimes used as a toilet by day trippers.