OFD Skeleton

mudman

Not the famous one now in a box in Cardiff museum but one found whilst up in the Fault Series in OFD1 at the weekend. One of our party spotted this skeleton under a rock. Unfortunately I didn't think to put something in for scale but I would say it was 8 to 10 inches end to end. I assume that it has been found before and identified but I wondered if anyone could identify it from my blurry picture? We thought at the time rat, but those legs look a little long for a rat.
The jaw is almost completely covered in calcite at the lefthand side of the picture.
I do also wonder how old it is.

Attachments

• Skeleton.jpg
    Skeleton.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 323
Back in the late 60s early 70s when we first got in there we assumed it was bat, one or two zoologists in group so I assume they were right!

Idris Williams

Jopo

It was Bill Little who told me it was a squirrel and I thought it was too big for a bat. I am sure one of SWCC's captive zoologists could give us a definitive answer.

Jopo

AnthonyB

Without seeing the skull, it's hard to say for certain.

overall length estimate, length of the hind legs and lack of any obvious tail bones I'd suggest rabbit.

Regards
A zoologist.

mudman

Sorry, I should have replied earlier.
I emailed Dave Dobson (SWCC Conservation) and he tells me that there are several rabbit (and bat) skeletons in that area as it?s close to the surface. It's definitely too big for any British bat species so I will go with either rabbit or pterodactyl.

Thanks all.