Scuba Course's

S

Solomon_uk

Hi Im an avid and so so exp caving and cave diving interests me. Of course I have done no diving before so I would like to start with a scuba course.

Anyway does anyone know of a scuba course near to me. I am based in Middlesbrough.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

~Sol

M

MSD

By all means go on a diving course (any time underwater is useful experience), but aware of the following:

a) A lot of the stuff you learn is not that useful for cave diving and you will have to even "unlearn" some things.

b) The courses available seem to always lie on two extremes. Either "get you diving as fast as possible" or "get you diving as slow as possible". Neither is very satisfactory.

c) A very considerable problem about the kind of pedagogics used to teach open water diving to beginners is that it revolves almost entirely around facts and fixed routines. This is not the kind of mentality you need for cave diving. To be a good and safe cave diver you need much greater analytical skills. You need to be able to assess risks yourself and you need to stay calm in an emergency and think before you act, not launch into some pre-prepared scenario. Most importantly of all you need to learn about yourself, how you react to stress, what your motivations are and so on.

Just to illustrate the point, I remember having a whole session in the open water diving course I went on concerning "how to get into the water". Well, this seemed pretty obvious to me to begin with. However, in cave diving the answer to this is amost always "crawl/stagger in a most ungainly fashion", except for the occasional excitement such as abseiling directly into a sump. So I wouldn't say that I benefited very much from that particular educational experience.

One caveat is of course that my experience dates from 15 years ago. It might well be that case that with the advent of much more technical diving, that there are new and better educational forms available.

If you are serious about cave diving, I recommend that you take contact with the Cave Diving Group sooner rather than later. I also recommend that you read through one or two cave diving manuals BEFORE learning to dive. That way you are in much better position to make sensible judgements for yourself about what you are being taught. However, don't try to openly challenge conventional diving wisdon - that's a sure way to end up as a pariah. "When in Rome do as the Romans do".

Mark

graham

Solomon_uk said:
Hi Im an avid and so so exp caving and cave diving interests me. Of course I have done no diving before so I would like to start with a scuba course.

Anyway does anyone know of a scuba course near to me. I am based in Middlesbrough.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

~Sol

Contact Martyn Farr through http://www.farrworld.co.uk/

Duncan Price

Best bet is to talk to someone in the CDG face to face and get their advice - a good start is to linger around a club with an active cave diver and offer to carry their gear. Martyn Farr's courses have a basic requirement for SCUBA experience and are not a "start from scratch" approach. Like many cave divers I don't actually hold any open water diving qualifications - for sure I trained with BSAC over 20 years ago but took up caving before getting qualified and then started cave diving later. Many of the cave divers I have mentored had no diving experience before starting cave diving and I would agree with Mark that a formal open water course is not always helpful and might well put you off. Depending on water sort of cave diving you want to do, you may well find that its more like caving underwater than diving in a cave. Many cave divers from an open water diving background never progress beyond diving resurgences...

Something like a basic PADI open water course is not completely a waste of time and will teach you basic mask clearing and regulator handling skills as well as making sure that you are comfortable in the water.

SamT

I think that would be cool - basic padi - then hook up with a cave diver.

I think cave diving is definately best learnt on an apprenticeship basis.

Where are you based - there is quite a lot of 'begginers' cave diving going on in the peak at the moment.

S

Solomon_uk

Yeah I was in the peak district the other weekend to do Titan and P8
http://www.solomon.fotopic.net

I was speaking to a couple of cave divers in the TSG hut where I was staying. They too mentioned they had'nt done a scuba course prior to cave diving.

I wil look into this more. Thing is I dont know any cave divers near me, I will have to hook up with one/some to learn anything.

SamT

the CGD website has a very active message board on there - so best place to get chatting to divers is probably on there.

http://www.cavedivinggroup.org.uk/cgi-bin/CDG/BBS/CDGBBS

peterdevlin

Duncan Price said:
 Many cave divers from an open water diving background never progress beyond diving resurgences...
On the other hand, some divers from an open water background move on to dig grotty little squeezes at the bottom of a cave  ;-)

M

MSD

Duncan Price said:
Best bet is to talk to someone in the CDG face to face and get their advice - a good start is to linger around a club with an active cave diver and offer to carry their gear.  

Looks like Duncan needs a carry to somewhere horrible. Hook up with him!

Actually that's excellent advice. I learnt a lot carrying for divers like John Cordingley and soon graduated to helping out on some of the projects underwater. The experienced guys took me under their wing and kept an eye out for me.

I actually had one of my most hilarious experieinces carrying a stage tank for John in Kingsdale Master Cave. My mission was to take it through to the 300 metre airbell. This was a long dive for me at the time and I was feeling a long way from home when I became completey stuck. After maybe half a minute of feeling not very happy I realised why.....I was IN the airbell, lying on the mud, with my face still underwater. Obviously gravity prevented me from moving! I felt such a fool and I was gald there was nobody there to see my red face :)

Mark

Mark