Grid ref for Hollandtwine shaft

T pot 2

Anyone got the old grid ref for Hollandtwine shaft?
I have mine which differs with the first edition of the cod.

mikem

Not sure whether this is new or old:
https://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=12132.msg318408#msg318408

Last time you discussed it also has a grid ref from tamesider:
https://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=3269.0

& same as my first link:
https://registry.thedca.org.uk/sitedetails.php?id=24

phizz4

According to the 1898 map the crushing circle is at SK13985 81267
If I have identified the mine entrance correctly, slightly to the south of the track, it gives SK13956 81188.

AR

Attached are the 1898 25" OS overlaid onto modern satellite imagery and a 1958 air photo of Hazard and Hollandtwine blown up.

Also, the sketches of the surface remains that appeared in the Red Book were originally put into this article in the PDMHS bulletin - https://pdmhs.co.uk/MiningHistory/Bulletin%201-7%20-%20The%20Surface%20Remains%20on%20Dirtlow%20Rake.pdf

Attachments

• hazard_hollandtwine_overlay.jpg
    hazard_hollandtwine_overlay.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 194
  • hazard_hollandtwine_1958.jpg
    hazard_hollandtwine_1958.jpg
    347.4 KB · Views: 185

Fishes

Is this the one that is buried in the bottom of the big opencast?

I seem to remember Nick Butcher showing me a boulder that was covering it before they started backfilling.

pwhole

I think the shaft location itself is not that far from the track - there's an information panel up there now. The big opencast, as I remember, was a huge and somewhat unusual fluorite pipe deposit, but I think higher than the Hollandtwine workings. It's all discussed (named as the 'Dirtlow Open-pit') in Trevor Ford's superb geological article a few years ago in Mining History - as there are so many caves and mines discussed each entry is somewhat limited, but he does mention all of Dirtlow Rake Head area - he quotes SK 140 812 for Hollandtwine but that looks too far south to me:

https://pdmhs.co.uk/MiningHistory/Bulletin%2017-5%20-%20The%20Geological%20Setting%20of%20the%20Lead%20Mines%20in%20the%20Northern%20Part%20of%20the%20White%20Peak.pdf

Also JRat's old logbooks do feature all the trip reports from Hollandtwine, but I haven't yet seen a grid ref for the shaft! Are we planning another dig then? ;)

nickwilliams

PB Smith took me to see the Hollandtwine shaft in about 1990. I remember a large, well ginged shaft with a piece of Ambideck over the top, next to a wall and a couple of minutes walk from the track where we parked.

But I could well be completely wrong....

T pot 2

Your correct in your description nick.
Hollandtwine was one of my favourite mines.
The present day track was diverted due to spar getting, this is when the pit went deep.
The tributors planned to go east to bennet part but were stopped by the planning authorities and the main users of the minerals closing, the pit was mothballed because of lack of demand, portaway pit ceased to mine spar at the same time.
Pwhole - watch this space.

Pete K

I have a little time right now while the outdoor industry recovers from Covid. Always keen to help if it is something within my skillset.

nickwilliams said:
PB Smith took me to see the Hollandtwine shaft in about 1990. I remember a large, well ginged shaft with a piece of Ambideck over the top, next to a wall and a couple of minutes walk from the track where we parked.

But I could well be completely wrong....

What year did it disappear? It was not there by 92 as Moose and I tried to find it. Went down Hazard instead.

AR

Thinking of air photos, probably the best one to look at to get a good location on the shaft would be the 1971 OS run covering the Peak. The Peak Park have a full set of prints at their HQ but I don't think it would be possible to arrange a viewing right now.  :(

Lampwick

We've just catalogued something from John Beck's collection about Hollandtwine for the British Caving Library. I seem to remember copies of aerial photos with lines and measurements on.  Might be worth asking Jenny or Mary...

Pitlamp

Several years ago Moose and a few mates tried very hard to locate this shaft. I think the ultimate conclusion was that it was so well "landscaped" as to be virtually impossible to relocate accurately enough to justify the major operation which would be needed to re-enter it.

But . . . some time in the late 1970s I remember walking past it and you could see half of the ginging exposed by recent digging activity. It was obvious that the site would soon be lost, so I had the presence of mind to take a (black & white) photograph, which I made available to Moose when he was looking into this one more recently.

I can't remember whether the photo came back or whether it stayed with Moose. His filing system is probably a lot better than mine, so it's perhaps worth contacting him about it. He may have a scanned (i.e. electronic) copy.

I'm hoping that Moose sees your topic because I suspect he can probably tell you a lot more than I can.

This may or may not help . . . .

There is also something else that may be of use to know about; I'll PM you separately.

nickwilliams

Stoney Boy said:
What year did it disappear? It was not there by 92 as Moose and I tried to find it. Went down Hazard instead.

Having consulted my records, I am pretty sure my visit to Dirtlow Rake was in preparation for an EUG practical event held at the Caver's Fair which was based at Pindale Farm on 10 July 1993. I have a copy of a letter dated 7 Jul 93 asking the then operators (probably Pat Smith, although the letter doesn't say it) for permission to use the big pit. My guess is that the visit with PB was a few days before that, so that would put it as late June or early July 1993.

I suppose it's possible that the shaft was buried in 1992 and then uncovered again by mid 1993.

Does anyone know if Paul Deakin's archives are accessible? I'd have thought there was a good chance of there being some pictures in his collection.

pwhole

John Barnatt has control/access to PD's collection. I've seen photos of the excavation with the digger - didn't Shaun P take some? I seem to remember they were in a dusty corner of the photo archive on the Hitch & Hike site.

Moose

I've got numerous maps, documents and GPS data on this which I'm happy to share. However, it's all theoretical banter and ultimately the prospect of regaining access to Hollandtwine from the shaft is virtually nil. In my opinion.

My advice would be to try and inspire the Ink sumpers to stop faffing about and get through that choke. ... which apparently one can see through!!

Graigwen

Moose said:
stop faffing about and get through that choke. ... which apparently one can see through!!

Diggers always say they can see open passage through chokes    "...just another couple of metres, I can see it ahead...."

A month later you find it is open for 50cm and is 10cm high.

We have made some good progress at Ink sump were the Hollandtwine water has been dye tested to, hopefully we will pop up at the bottom of the 70 foot natural shaft that J-Rat and crew found and were the water sinks. :-\

T pot 2

Moose your opinion is vaild and possibly correct however the question posed, does anyone have the correct grid ref, re Hollandtwine shaft? Gives no inference of digging or opening the shaft.
I need the grid for something else.