Mallorca

al

Last October me and several mates had a week in Mallorca, and were very impressed by the caves there. Did Cueva sy Pesso, Cueva sy Rotcha, Cueva sy Campana and Cueva c'an Sion. Intend to return this year, but have very little information on caves and practicalities (e.g. where can we get carbide?). Can anybody help?

T

T pot

Done some caving in Mallorca meself but many years back (that long since i can't remember the names of the caves) carbide now there's a question. personaly i would forget using carbide, instead why not try using the new LED lights, i find them pretty good, have used them in Mexico and you can always buy AA batteries in most countries.

al

Last year we did indeed mostly use 5-LED Duos and, like you say, batteries are easy to get. (In fact you can buy Ultras cheap in the duty free at Manchester Airport AFTER they've weighed your hand luggage!)

But some of the chambers were so flaming BIG that a carbide light would have been very very useful. We did hear that it was possible to buy carbide in Pollensa, but we couldn't find any - and the source of the info was an old Internet page, so it might have been out-of-date.

Lofty said it was a pity they didn't cook on the stuff, but it seems they're more up-to-date in Mallorca than Mexico!!

al

Having noticed that some folk in other parts of the web were having had difficulties finding this one, and even starting to doubt its existence, Kinder CC spent some time looking for this pot last Friday. Des Marshall's instructions have become a little outdated since the road has been upgraded and many of the car parking possibilities have changed (including the one by Avenc Terrasa, where you can no longer park and stand on your car roof to place your backup belay!!).

To find Avenc Del Pla Les Basses, go along the Cap Formentor road to the 16km mark, and park on the right just before it. There is room for 2 cars on the bend before, and room for 1 car a little nearer.

Walk past the 16km sign and, after 60m, round the next bend, look for a stony path along a low drystone wall branching off to the right.

Follow this for about 1km down the left side of an open valley until you can see down to the sea through a col in the ridge on the left.

At this point, if you look to the right, you will see that the valley floor is made up of dry brown earth, and there is a square fenced enclosure in the centre.

Just on the far side of the enclosure, there are several low shrubs and one large tree. Beneath this large tree is a rocky depression containing several large boulders and the first pitch of Avenc Pla Les Basses.

Unfortunately most of us old KCC duffers were suffering from various injuries acquired by caving in pyjamas, and general old-age :injured: , so we didn't actually descend the hole and cannot vouch for any of the belays, but the spits we saw did all look quite old, and ungreased, unlike others we had come across in Mallorca. There were two backup spits (unnecessary, really, as there were plenty of natural belays) and two spits which would provide a Y hang on the tree side of the hole – although it did look as though there might be a rub just below the Y and a long deviation might be necessary.

Looking at the local geography, I think Des Marshall's flood warnings still apply!!!