Caravan Trail dig

Goydenman

Work was started on digging an entrance shaft which hopefully will allow 'dry' access into the Caravan Trail found by divers between New Goyden downstream sump 2 and 3. On Saturday December 8th we used a digger to dig out a 3m sq 2.6m deep hole in the site where a crater had appeared in the farmers field. This had been fixed by molephone to be over the 20m aven at the end of the Caravan Trail. The crater was filled in by the farmer but was still visible by the patch of weeds and edge of crater seen in the grass. We calculate there is 14m between the surface and the aven - a lot of digging! We are in need of scaff boards if anyone can help with a cheap source or freebies please let us know.
Survey
8257931057_ea3f3e3ce1_n.jpg

Me by the 'crater'
8259077140_49a2a76c9a_n.jpg

Ready to dig
8259039802_d7dae18447_n.jpg

Scott peering into the abyss  :eek:
8259042342_d657062613_n.jpg

Area fenced off by Ian the following day
8259044678_9994f804ae.jpg

Goydenman

The farmer is a great guy and really supportive. We are going to ask him if there are any jobs we can help with on the farm as well as the usual Christmas pressie we give him.

Goydenman

We are now starting to install the metal bins that will form the entrance shaft. Saturday October 5th plan is to have a stack of three bins in place, joined and then tidy up ready for the large hole to be backfilled. That will leave us with having to make an entrance - not sure what is best? Any suggestions? Needs to blend in with the environment (middle of field) easy to rig for SRT, easy to open and close while down to stop livestock falling in.

1378465_665441346801557_1327336076_n.jpg

martinm

Goydenman said:
We are now starting to install the metal bins that will form the entrance shaft. Saturday October 5th plan is to have a stack of three bins in place, joined and then tidy up ready for the large hole to be

What r u going to when the metal bins corrode & collapse in a few years time like so many oil drum entrance shafts created in the Peak in the 1980's? You'll have to dig it open again!

You should be using Plastic (or GRP) pipe like that used for Flower Pot in Stoney Middleton. See here:-

http://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=7316.msg97512#msg97512

That will last for many, many years.

Regards, Mel.

Goydenman

They are galvanised bins so should last more than a few years and we can't afford plastic pipe that length/width. So unless someone offers some best we can do.

bograt

Back fill to about 3" of the drums, stick some re-bar down and then concrete up to the drums, this should give enough support when the drums start to go.
When the concrete reaches the surface, you will have a decent collar to mount belays and cover.

bograt

Just a thought, if the field is used for tractor work ( mowing, harrowing, spreading etc.), any lid put on there needs to be able to handle the weight unless its raised to avoid being run over.
I know man hole covers come with different weight handling.

Goydenman

Good point Bograt I pretty sure he just let's sheep graze on it and certainly know he'd be happy to work round the entrance when in there with his tractor. However that is a reason to raise it a bit above ground level and I was thinking of it being in a slight crater or level so less easily seen hmmmm?

dunc

If it was level could a large rock or even a bush next to it (both natural looking) be used to mark the location? :-\

JasonC

I would have thought slightly above ground level would be better - any concrete rim could be muddied over so it would be unobtrusive.  If it's in a crater, it will very quickly fill with crud - I know you like digging but not to get  to the entrance ? :)

bograt

I tend to agree with Jason on this, a hollow in that kind of pasture could attract all sorts of surface run-off, making the climb more unpleasant than it needs to be, a slightly raised entrance could be banked off with topsoil and turned into a grassy mound.

nickwilliams

The counter argument, from the farmer's point of view, is that if the field is ever mown, having a lump of concrete/metal lid sticking up in the middle will be a right PITA and could cause serious damage to the blades of any mower which hits it.

Even fields which are normally only ever grazed need mowing occasionally to deal with thistles and other weeds.

I'd strongly recommend getting the landowner's view before reaching a decision.

Nick.

bograt

Which is why I raised the subject, although judging by the first photo in this thread, the farmer is used to avoiding that area of the pasture with his mower/topper.

Goydenman

Thanks everyone. I do intend to ask the farmer but thought worth getting your views first. Never seen the farmer mow this field in this area so thinking one level with the field would be good and not in a crater of mud!.  (y)