World records in caving

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
The Guinness Book of Records and the like love to have the biggest, longest, quickest, of everything and caves are no exception.  It is often very difficult to define terms or criteria for things such as biggest cave fro example.  Other aspects such as deepest cave or deepest cave dive seem more plausible.

What sort of records do people consider suitable for inclusion in books such as Guinness?

andys

I'd suggest the following for inclusion:

- Most number of people on a single SRT rope at the same time
- Fastest trip through Calf Holes to Browgill without a light
- Most idiotic reason for invoking a rescue call out
- Most disgusting caving underpants ever seen
- Closest time to "last orders" to arrive in the pub
- Worst joke ever submitted by "Tony of Suffolk"

JoshW

-biggest disparity between size of person and size of hole attempted to go through
-shortest time to take one shot on a photo trip
-shortest time to survey a 10m section of cave with footleg

Roger W

I was thinking of the shortest.

For the longest, I presume we would be talking about the longest where the caver(s) got from one end to the other without help or rescue? 

Simon Beck

Roger W said:
What's the record at the moment for the Dowbergill through trip?

One hour by myself, that I know of (regarding previous times). I was timed by friends as well. It was actually a practice run with the intention of doing it properly. I'd been mixing concrete that whole day so hadn't been fresh, but decided I didn't want to take the risks i did in going that fast again. 

The fact is it's pointless and I only did it out of curiosity.

mikem

Roger W said:
I was thinking of the shortest.

For the longest, I presume we would be talking about the longest where the caver(s) got from one end to the other without help or rescue?

Slowest would definitely involve lights going out & having to be rescued...

Mark Wright

I've not had it confirmed by Norris,  but I can tie a Fig. 13 in an empty packet of Walkers crisps (Not a Grab Bag).

I reckon that should be in.

Mark

andys

What about shortest time for tying an Alpine Butterfly, one handed and with the eyes closed? (PS Do NOT rely on any knot I tie like that when actually caving!)

JasonC

Cave system with most entrances navigable without breathing apparatus ?
(Draenen is ineligible for this one, obviously) 

mikem

Mark Wright said:
I've not had it confirmed by Norris,  but I can tie a Fig. 13 in an empty packet of Walkers crisps (Not a Grab bag).

You'll struggle as he's been in the ground for almost 15 years...

Mark Wright

andys said:
What about shortest time for tying an Alpine Butterfly, one handed and with the eyes closed? (PS Do NOT rely on any knot I tie like that when actually caving!)

What, in a Walkers crisp packet?

Mark

Mark Wright

mikem said:
Mark Wright said:
I've not had it confirmed by Norris,  but I can tie a Fig. 13 in an empty packet of Walkers crisps (Not a Grab bag).

You'll struggle as he's been in the ground for almost 15 years...

That explains why I never got a response to my application for a world record 15 years ago.

Mark

Graigwen

JasonC said:
Cave system with most entrances navigable without breathing apparatus ?
(Draenen is ineligible for this one, obviously)

Surely Draenen only has one entrance?