Cheap cordless drill

Pitlamp

20 V cordless hammer drill for 40 quid, coming up shortly at Lidl:

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Non-Food-Offers.htm?articleId=11760

This is not an SDS drill, so will be nowhere near as useful as the real thing. (Following good advice from Badlad I'm a loyal Makita man now.) Might be OK for putting in the odd bolt or two and / or home DIY jobs. Could be a case of "buy cheap buy twice" - I don't know. Just flagging this up in case it's of interest.

If anyone does get one it might be helpful to other forum members if you stick a real world review on here (before Lidl sells out).

Goydenman

You can get some amazing bargain tools at Lidl and Aldi. I got well built good performing multisaw from Aldi for ?19.99. This one looks good thanks Pitlamp sure helpful to folk......we've just bought Bosch 36v second hand with 2 batteries and charger looks hardly used ?50 well pleased  :)

topcat

The Old Ruminator said:
Has to be SDS for the very reason that you get more effective hammer drill action.

SDS refers to the drill bit profile / chuck fitment.  It has no direct effect on hammer action, though of course most ?all? SDS drills are pneumatic, which is where the increased efficiency comes from.  I think  :-\

royfellows

I would say that the SDS thingy is for the benefit of a quick swap without a chuck key to get lost. Possibly eliminates chance of bit working loose on hammer action as a bonus

darren

That drill looks to have a keyless chuck.

I've got the smaller non hammer version from Lidl. I find the chuck difficult to tighten properly. Might be worth testing in shop.

SamT

topcat said:
The Old Ruminator said:
Has to be SDS for the very reason that you get more effective hammer drill action.

SDS refers to the drill bit profile / chuck fitment. 

This,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drill_bit_shank#SDS_shank

Special Direct System,  And its the groves in the side that make it special, they allow a much greater turning force to be applied, i.e. the chuck does not have to 'Grip' the shank.
It has very little to do with the efficiency of the impact force generated.

The SDS shank has the advantage of fitting into a simple spring-loaded chuck, so that bits are simply pushed into the chuck without tightening. This shank and chucks made for it are especially suited to hammer drilling with masonry drills in stone and concrete. The drill bit is not held solidly in the chuck, but can slide back and forth like a piston; it does not slip during rotation due to the non-circular shank cross-section, matching the chuck. The hammer of the drill acts to accelerate only the drill bit itself, and not the large mass of the chuck, which makes hammer drilling with an SDS shank drill bit much more productive than with other types of shank.

though of course most ?all? SDS drills are pneumatic, which is where the increased efficiency comes from.  I think  :-\

Definitely not pneumatic!!

pneumatic - adjective - 1. containing or operated by air or gas under pressure.

These are not air drills, or jack hammers, which are what you see people digging roads up with.

This video at 1:40 shows nicely, the hammer action used in most Rotary Hammer Action drills (commonly called SDS). and at 4:00 too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhIBvsL-1ig