Beginners caving in scotland

Hi folks, wasn't sure whether to post here or in the new to caving section. Wondering if anyone is active in scotland? I'm keen on caving, but ayrshire isn't exactly full of caves... So far I've had 3 trips to cleaves cove, been in a couple of old mines,  about half way into jeanie barries cave I think, and the upstream section of the molendinar burn. I've been building up some kit slowly over lockdown and am hoping once it's over to head up to appin. Wondering if anyone has any tips, or would be interested in letting me tag along sometime? I've roped my mate in a bit so far, but not sure how keen he is...

nmenzies

Hi Alec,
you'd be best getting in touch with the GSG (Grampian Speleological Group) we cave all over Scotland including having our own caving club hut up in Assynt where several of Scotland longest caves are located. We also cave down in Yorkshire and elsewhere on a regular basis and hopefully we will get back to regular caving once travel and accommodation restrictions are lifted in Scotland.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hi, thanks for that, pinged them a wee message. I messaged them one time before, but Edinburgh isn't handy for me to get to the meetings, and with the fact not much has happening during lockdown, I never really pushed meeting/joining. Does anyone cave midweek? Or is it always weekend trips?
Alec

nmenzies

Hi, yes Edinburgh isn't ideal for quite a few of us. Most of the caving takes place at weekends with us due to distances involved but there are sometimes midweek trips usually to some of the mines in the central belt, although I'm sure if your free mid week you could probably find someone else to go with.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Most of scotland isn't handy for caving, central belt anyway... How do you arrange trips? Is it on the fb page, or on here, or just personal messages? I want to try the cave of broken expectations and draught Caledonian once we are allowed to travel again. It would be great to try to arrange to meet up if anyone has plans to go to the area round about that time?