Fossil (new to me!)

Amy

So this weekend was caving (of course) and found some really nice snailshell fossils...and then around the corner in another rock was a wholeeeee bunch of these, and I'm not sure what animal it is! It's not some weird anomaly, I counted 7 clear ones in the area, and some more that seemed the same just warped/smushed. Sorry guess I should have thrown my hand in for some scale...they varied slightly in size, but were about 3cm across (and although rounded, pretty square so about 3x3cm +/- .5cm or so)

Unknown Fossil 2 by Sunguramy [Amy Hinkle], on Flickr

Unknown Fossil by Sunguramy [Amy Hinkle], on Flickr

RobinGriffiths

Looks vaguely vertebra like. Do you know the name and/or age of the limestone formation ? That would help constrain things.

Robin

John B

Hi Amy. Your fossils are still gastropods (your "snailshells") which are sectioned vertically. If they landed all jumbled on the sea floor you would not expect them all to show a neat spiral. Those you first found were sectioned horizontally, so what you see is a spiral. If they are sectioned vertically you get an odd cross section through the spiral. It's even harder to figure out if it's oblique!

georgenorth

John B said:
Hi Amy. Your fossils are still gastropods (your "snailshells") which are sectioned vertically. If they landed all jumbled on the sea floor you would not expect them all to show a neat spiral. Those you first found were sectioned horizontally, so what you see is a spiral. If they are sectioned vertically you get an odd cross section through the spiral. It's even harder to figure out if it's oblique!
Agreed - they'd be roughly this sort of shape I'd reckon - http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3340/5711168947_bb12348904_z.jpg